Belt Drive vs. Hydro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eastham, Jun 14, 2006.

1. eastham

eastham LawnSite Member

I used a hydro today and found the "Oh you gotta get a hydro"...was bs. I'm glad I finally tried a hydro because all these years I've been thinking the other guys with hydros had it easier. lol

I will admit that for kids or weak girly men a hydro would be ideal. But for me a belt drive is no problem. I actually do my lawns one handed and walk to the side of all my scag belt drives so there are no footprints on the lawns. :weightlifter: I'll admit I'm a big 6'5 guy, but come on.

Slipping belts?? Never happened to my equipment. Maybe when you grease the nipples on your belt drive you spread grease on the belts? You guys are doing something odd to your belts for them to slip.

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Thats what I have been saying all along.

3. eastham

eastham LawnSite Member

I actually did'nt like the hydro. I have more speed control with a belt drive. I keep it in 3rd and can creep at any speed with a belt. It seemed the hydro set the speed. With a belt I set the speed.

4. DAVEY PROS

DAVEY PROS LawnSite Member

Wwll i haven't used either but am in the midst of purchasing a w/b.

I'm going to go with the walker mw hydro- closest cut to a reel. PLUS im not 6'5 yet - only 16....maybe i should hit the gym more often.

5. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I have been saying that I like the belt too. But then I've never tried the hydro. I guess I'll try one before I make judgement but so far I really like my Toro T Bar belt drive. Never had any problem with slippage.
    I guess it's just personal preference.

6. ShieldsLandscaping

ShieldsLandscaping LawnSite Member

Well how often do you change them? I used to use belts, then i switched to hydro only because they are better for Velkies. Fresh belts wont slip easily, but about a month down the road at about 60 lawns a week they sklip a little. I used to only change them 2x a season (about 6 months here), and towards the end of the change they would slip going up hills and in moist conditions. Heat has to do with the expansion of the belts too.

7. ShieldsLandscaping

ShieldsLandscaping LawnSite Member

its a lot easier to just drain the oil and change a filter on a hydro (every 500hrs) than every like 300 change the belts

8. Jay74

Jay74 LawnSite Member

Hustler H-bar! Nothing easier, especially at the end of a 10 hour day.

Hydros Rule!!!

Jason

9. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

DEAR MODERATOR,

Why would you delete my entire reply? I thought it contained pertinent facts and helpfull information to all those reading this hydro bashing thread?!?!?!?

Thanks,
    Kevin

10. eastham

eastham LawnSite Member

So you think its easier to drain oil and change an oil filter than it is to put a belt on? Where you from? Saudi Arabia?:confused: