1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

belt drive vs. hydro.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Jun 29, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

just a thought I had today when i was cutting a field. I'm using a 48" belt drive i bought a few weeks ago. in this overgrown field, i bottomed out a few times, and got stuck in a deep hole or 2:mad: . i had to shut the blades down then proceed to lift a little to not damage anything underneath the deck. the belts slipped slightly, making it able for me to shut the blades down quick,etc. .
    if that was a hydro wouldn't that have torn right threw the hole, dragging the bottom across the ground, maybe doing damage? also. do the wheel motors have a lonf life expectancy due to all the stress they're under constanly.

I look at it this way, on my street car, the motor is really stong. but because I don't have a bullit proof rear, i won't put slicks on so the tires "give" alittle. It suffers alittle performance stats, yes, but it will last much longer.

this is just an idea I was thinking about, just an opinion. don't have a hyrdo, just bought my first ever wb, so its a relatively theory opinion :)
  2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Hydro motors are very good!!
    Also what damage would you do to the bottom of the deck?
  3. fga

Blade damage on rocks? belt damage?
  4. saw man

from utah

Blades should be protected by deck, MOSTLY. Not always.

Are your belts on the side, going to the whees?

Bottom Line - Hydro trannies are awesome, all its doing is pushing oil. Where as the gear drive has gears that can shear.

The Hydro is the better unit!
  5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I made the mistake of buying a 48" belt drive WB this year, hate it. Definatly wish I had spent the extra for a hydro unit.
  6. fga

mine kicks azz! i was cutting through 18" grass today throwing it atleast 15'. even ran over a plastic baseball bat, and shot it out:D
  7. fga

saw man,
    i think the cover that protects the pulley and belt underneath the motor is missing, that 's what i was referring to the pulley/blade damage. didn't want to drag the rear of the mower. i do have the belts on the side going to the wheels, those I don't think ae in any obstacle danger.

like i said, just a thought. i was thinking of this because i saw in JThomas how exspensive it is to replace those wheel motors!!!
  8. saw man

from utah

Hydro motor dont go out as often as gear drive units.
    As far as how it handles the lawn and how far it throws things there is no difference in hydro or gear!

Like i said the Hydro is the better unit. I dont know what unit you have , but belts, except for the side ones, should be in no danger.

Thats 1 thing i dont like about gear grive is the belts on the side!
  9. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Hydro's are the only way to go, you will save twenty percent in mowing time,throw in a Velke and you are in businnes. I have five Scag hydro's, never replaced a pump, change the oil and filter once a year,that is over 15000 hours of service with little maintaince vs a belt,constant adj. replacememt,plus the extra man power...... I want my competition to use belt drives... lots of extra labor costs,slower mowing times, higher times working on the belt drives to get them to work. Still waiting for a hydro pump to go out...only way to go.......
  10. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i almost bought a belt drive based on price. i thought there was no way a hydro should cost double what a belt drive costs. if i had bought a belt drive i know i would have sold it and bought a hydro. nobody i know that has a hydro would go back to a belt drive. i cant imagine stopping and putting mower in reverse and pulling on mower every time i wanted to back up. i think 20 percent more production is conservative (hydro vs. belt). the right equipment is vital to staying competitive, so bite the bullet and get a hydro. you will NOT be sorry.....