belt drive vs hydro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bowhunter, Jan 26, 2001.

1. bowhunter

bowhunter LawnSite Member

I am currently in the market for a new 48" walk-behind
    and need help with the following questions. Is the hydro
    worth $1500 more,will it cut that much faster, and what are
    the benefits/disadvantages of both? Your response will
    be greatly appreciated.Thanks, Craig

2. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

This topic has been covered many, many times. While waiting for new input I would suggest using the search feature on lawnsite.com.

Chuck Keough
    LawnSite.com

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Yes it worth it if its your primary mower. If you plan to upgrade to a ZTR anytime soon, then no I wouldn't spend the money. I have a ZTR and would never go back to a walkbehind as my primary mower. Employees maybe. I have a belt drive and a hydro. The hydro is easier to operate, and it does same time on turning and getting around obstacles. But a must for productivity is having a sulky to ride on. This was the best thing I ever did to my walkbehinds.

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

at $3200 the LESCO 48 fixed deck hydro with 17 hp kawasaki and electric start is not $1500 more! check it out!

GEO

5. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

It depends on your situation. There was a post on here last week that got a bunch of responses, use the SEARCH..

6. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

7. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

I started out with belt drives and two years ago, I went to hydros..I didn't realize what I was missing out on...The hydros don't slip and mow in wet hilly conditions with ease..If you get the belt drives in any moisture, they just won't pull themselves..The belts slip and you basically have to push the dang thing..I mulled over the same thing: Is the hydro worth $1500 more???Yes, Yes, they are..Derrick

8. bowhunter

bowhunter LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of the advice. The $1500 difference
    in the hydro was just approximate. Have not seen
    any dealers in my area selling Lesco walk behinds.
    The majority of commercial mowers in this part of
    the country are Toro, Scag, Exmark, and Encore, with
    the Encore being the cheapest. Are the Lesco hydros
    worth taking a look at? Thanks, Craig

9. LWNMWRMN

LWNMWRMN Banned

Stick with the exmark, Iwoul recommend the exmark turf tracer HP (48" or 52") with ehe 17 hp. kawasaki. Go to your dealer and try a demo! (see for yourself) If I knew were you were from I could suggest a dealer to try. And Yes, a hydro is worth the money.

10. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

Just the fact that the hydros give you "real" reverse make them worth any amount of money over the belt drive.