belt drive??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by man of stihl, Apr 20, 2005.

1. man of stihl

man of stihl LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 36 lesco belt wb. when i make a right turn on the sulky and i do it slow, it doesnt drive me around. i have to push down on the lever and it goes then.. this is my first wb mower so i dont know to much about the drive on them? the right one works grand, its just the left one that is a little slow.. it doesnt seem to hold on hills either.. if im goin on a slant with the left wheel downward.. i push down on the lever instead of it tracking itself... just to make sure it goes straight. is there sumthing i can adjust??
    thanx

2. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

I use a bobcat belt drive, but I assume they're similar:

Assuming your belts are of equal age, and equally stretched out, the following soluion should work:

On your pistol grip handles, there's a rod shooting from the handle down to the idler pully. Somewhere on that rod (by the handle or by the pully) you'll see screw threads. You can disconnect the rod (via cotterpin) and twist the rod to make it screw in tighter or looser. This can be used to adjust the handle lever height. Sounds like you need to let that lever flow farther down when you relase it. It's a 2 minute adjustment, just play with it until the mower tracks straight and both handles are in a comfortable position.

The other option is to put some belt dressing on your belts. This may allow your belt to grip the wheel drive quicker. Downside is that belt dressing can attract more dirt build-up on the belts.

Hope this helps.

3. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Check to see if the brake is adjusted right too. If it's too loose, it won't turn.