belt drive?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by snakasnee, Dec 29, 2005.

1. snakasnee

snakasnee LawnSite Member

i have a chance to buy a toro 52 wb super cheap, but it is belt drive. should i hold out for hydro? is it that big of a deal?
  2. LHSlawnman86

LHSlawnman86 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

it all depends on what kind of peoperties you will be doing. belt drive is fine if you will be doing relatively flat and open mowing but if you will be doing small lots with many obstacles then hydro is good for you. also if you plan on using a velky then hydro is better.

good luck
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Is is a T-bar handle?

If it is, Iv'e been told and read that those Toros are the next best thing to a hydro. "The poor mans hydro" if you will...

Still have limitations and belts can slip in the wet but I see many people on here than have them. Personally, I have zero experience with them but I still wanted to pass that along.
  4. snakasnee

the toro is a t-bar handle. thanks for sharing that. what john deer transmision drive? i have also run accross one of those.
  5. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

Here's my two cents. If you have a climate where there's a lot of moisture in the air. Then the belts could slip once they get wet. I personally have a belt drive and I'm getting rid of it this year. They are great if your a small operation and can work around the weather. If not they're not worth the threat of the belt slipping. I'm purchasing a Wright Stander in a 36" for residentials this year.
  6. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

If we purchase walk behinds again have 2 of them currently now (Scag 36"). I will never buy Hydro walk behind again. The extra cost dosent justify the expense to me. We have one belt and one hydro. Belts and sillpage, I havent experienced that. We replace them every year. The belt drive is older that the hydro also. 3years/ 2years
  7. snakasnee

i have heard that the hydros arent as smooth as the belts and are kind of jerky. did you experience any of that?
  8. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

The hydros are jerky, the 52'' scag hydro at school is very jerky when making turns.
  9. creeksidelc

creeksidelc LawnSite Member

I have a Proline belt drive 36. and it is great. Cut quality is awesome as well as speed and manuverability. I have not experienced slippage, and frequently mow in wet grass, and in hilly terrain.(North Georgia) It pulls me and the mower up hills just fine. I personally have also found the hydros to be jerky. I prefer belt drive. I did have a JD belt drive and it was horrible, so if you get a belt drive get a Toro. Good luck whatever you get.
  10. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

As mentioned before; it all depends what you need the mower for. Hydros are great for steep hills and damp/wet conditions. Other than that my belt drive 48" Bunton does a good job.