1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Belt Driven/Hydro, or Z Please Help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sanders Lawn Care, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Sanders Lawn Care

Sanders Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from USA

I have already read several post about all of these units, but I am still having a hard time picking one. I just picked up 2 apartment complexes and I am going to need a bigger mower than the one I got now 36" Walk behind. I am looking at a 52" One of the apartment complexes has a open area of 79,000 square feet. I have narrowed my choices to Exmark, and John Deere. I am just having a hard time deciding on a large walk behind and a Z. Most importantly if the walk behind should be a Belt, or Hydro driven. I know in the end this is going to be strictly my choice, but any help, or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

i recommend a z over a w/b because you only really need a w/b for gates amd such (you already have that covered) or hills. if hills aren't a problem, than a z is good for sure. the z will cost more but performs better and is more efficent. exmark and deere are good brands but exmark is much better.

as far as specific mowers, i think you should go with a 52 exmark lazer z hp. you can get it with the 23 or 27 hp kohler engine (better than briggs or kawi).
    good luck.
  3. Sanders Lawn Care

from USA

That had been the Z I was looking at. There are no hills on any of my major commercial properties. Personally I would never buy a Briggs motor. I always here people say that walk behinds have a better cut is this true? I have never been on a Z so I can not answer this. Thanks Fresh!
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think that is a true statements, unless there are some qualifications about the weight of the mower on soft ground.

Many of have John Deere ZTR, with 7 Iron II decks. Do a search, and read the posts about quality of cut. I think you will find the vast majority of this deck on the JD Z-trak mowers to be favorable, if not highly favorable. I fit into the "highly favorable" category.
  5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

When it comes down to what you buy it is all up to you. If you do go with a wb, I would go with an Exmark Turf Tracer 60'' since its all open property. But a Z will get it mowed a whole lot faster. Have you looked into Deere's Quik Trak stand on mowers. They take up way less space than a rider but perform at the same speeds as riders do. If you have to bag the property a ZTR would be your best choice. If I was you I would not get a wb and go for a Quik Trak or ZTR.
  6. jdogg399

jdogg399 LawnSite Member

got a couple used turf tracer for sale 52 in /in ohio
  7. Sanders Lawn Care

from USA

Luckily I don't have to bag any of the properties that I have. I have read about the Quick tracks, and still need to demo the unit. I think I have finally got my decision down to the the Quick Track 657A 54", or the Lazer Z 52". Still need to Demo both units, will try to do this by this weekend. Thanks for everyones help.