Belt Driven walk behind turning help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Diddy, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Diddy

Diddy LawnSite Member

Hi guys. i got a belt driven walk behind and its hard for me to turn without tearing up the grass. Do i just have to use brute force to pull the mower back and make a 3 pt turn? any input or advice is much appreciated

2. BOSS LAWN 2343

BOSS LAWN 2343 LawnSite Senior Member

3. Diddy

Diddy LawnSite Member

whats the best way to do that?

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You can do a zero turn of sorts but it takes practice. When you get to the end of the row start to make the turn. Say you're turning to the right. Let the left wheel drive full power and pull in on the right clutch lever. When you pull in on the clutch lever pull back on that handle bar at the same time. You'll get the hang of it after you do it a few times. It's not hard once you get the hang of it.

5. Diddy

Diddy LawnSite Member

Thanks so much. do u have to pull pretty hard on the right handle?

6. BOSS LAWN 2343

BOSS LAWN 2343 LawnSite Senior Member

There is no reason to fully grip on the right/left handle when you turn. Do it with pressure, not full pressure.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If the belts and brakes are adjusted properly it shouldn't take too much. There is a space between when the mower declutches and the brakes start to apply. You want to pull back in that space. There is very little resistance if everything is adjusted properly.

8. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

What is your deck width? You might want to also do one extra perimeter lap. This will allow you more room to complete your turns in.

9. Diddy

Diddy LawnSite Member

its a 36 in deck

10. Diddy

Diddy LawnSite Member

i guess idk if mine is adjusted properly then. is it pretty noticeable when i get to the space on the belts?