belt idler spring!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by luv2mow, May 9, 2008.

1. luv2mow

luv2mow LawnSite Member

Well in 80 hours I have manged to break 7 belt idler springs. Dealer has come out and put new one on each time. Have new blades, checked belt for any flat spots or wear. All is good. Still manged to break another one yesterday. Everytime spring breaks right where hook is that attaches to the bolt on deck. A good friend of mine was there when it broke and he said right away. They have bolt which holds washers down and where spring hook attaches as tight as it will go. This is putting to much pressure on spring and why it is vibrating like crazy a snapping. He said loosen bolt a bit. Put some grease on the bolt where spring attaches and it should be fine. Sound feasible because I am running out of options. Thanks!

2. slone

slone LawnSite Member

what type of mower are you using

3. luv2mow

luv2mow LawnSite Member

Dixie Chopper Lt2400d.

4. slone

slone LawnSite Member

what did the dealer say might be causing this. i have never ran the dixie. always wanted one though

5. luv2mow

luv2mow LawnSite Member

To be honest! I really dont think the dealer I purchased from has a clue. He just puts on a new spring and thats that for now. After my friend suggested loosening the bolt tension I called another Dixie dealer and he seemed to think this could be problem. I just ask on here because I know most guys on here know more than any dealer and will give you an honest anwser. Other than this never ending problem its been great and cuts great.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Where is the spring breaking? Is it on the hook, or into the coils of the spring?

If it is on the hook, perhaps the vibration is wearing through the wire of the spring at the connect point.

I had a problem with my John Deere 717A after about 50 hours. The deck belt is tensioned with a spring-loaded idler. In my case, the vibration wore through the eye bolt, to which the spring was connected. The design of the eye bolt is a bad design, way too thin. I replaced it with a 1/4" eye bolt from the hardware store, and have never had a problem since.

In your case, perhaps the point of connection is exceeding load limits on the spring during the dynamic loading. If the break point is in the coil, then you have a different problem.

7. luv2mow

luv2mow LawnSite Member

The spring is breaking everytime on the hook. Right where begins to start the spring coil. The small straight part and then the coil begins. Would loosening the tension on the bolt help any? You know I have a washer. Attach hook over the bolt. Washer then the nut. Could they be overtightening the nut as to not allow any freedon of movement from spring. It vibrates so much as to sound like it is strumming. After seven springs in same spot I need help.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Attach the hook to the bolt with several loops of wire and see if that makes anything change. Also can reattach the broken ones with wire to keep it running. Try another bolts with threads and put a washer and nut on both sides of the loop so it rides against smooth surface..

9. luv2mow

luv2mow LawnSite Member

Actually the bolt there now does have threads and the hook is sandwiched between the two washers. Bolt attaches from top and tightens down. Am I missing your suggestion? Another thought. Should I just replace entire belt and maybe pulley. I assume the pulley is where the other end of the spring attaches? Sorry for being a little slow here. This is not really my thing but I am trying to learn!

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic