1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Belt issues on JD 14SB

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by meadows57, Aug 2, 2004.

1. meadows57

meadows57 LawnSite Member

My 91' model is slipping in and out of gear in the heat of battle and I'm at the end of the adjustment bolt on the drive cable. I'm thinking it's time to replace the drive belt. I've removed the xmission pulley and have the belt removed on that end. Now it appears that the engine will have to be loosened or removed to completely remove the belt. Does the blade brake assembly also have to be removed? Would it be wise to replace the pulleys as well? All help is appreciated.

Enterprise, AL
  2. BZB_Helpers

BZB_Helpers LawnSite Member

if you have the ogura bbc then you have to remove the engine, then the bbc, then install the new belt.
    if you have the warner bbc, remove engine, then you remove the anchor bolt from the bbc, and install a new belt
  3. meadows57

meadows57 LawnSite Member

I'm not sure which bbc I have. When you speak of the anchor bolt is that the knurled allen head bolt running through the center at the blade mount? And the engine does have to come completely out or can the bbc be lowered slightly to allow room to remove the belt? Thanks again...MM
  4. Stu52

Stu52 LawnSite Member

I have exactly the same situation as you. Remove the four bolts on the clutch housing, this will release the belt guide. Do not mess with the bolt in the center of the blade mount. Remove the four bolts holding the engine to the deck, lift off the engine-very light, and you will be able to take the belt off. The engine removal sounds tough, but is very easy and simple. I have a question for you, how did you get the pulley off the transmission?