Belt issues with a Scag Tiger Cub

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rblantonjr, Feb 7, 2007.

1. rblantonjr

rblantonjr LawnSite Member

I have broken several deck belts on my 2005 Scag Tiger Cub mower which only has 400 hrs. on it. Has anyone out there had any similar issues?:hammerhead:

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you had your dealer look at the mower.

3. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

The only problem I had was with the idler spring. It broke at around 50 hours and was replaced under warrenty. I have 150 hours on it now and no problems with the spring or belts. If it were me I would take it back to your dealer. It sounds like a pully is out of line or bent.

4. lms

lms LawnSite Member

One or more of your idler pulleys are too low. Look at them and see which one's lip is rubing on the belt. Shim the pulley with washers and your problem will be solved. It took me three belts to figure that out. Now I haven't broken one in a long time. Good Luck!
    -Luke

5. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Also if its a 48 deck there has been a update to convert the one belt system to a 2 belt system and i think this should be covered under warrenty .Also i had problems on my 52 deck cub when the idler arm bearings wore out and the belt got stretched it would eat the belt . Like someone else said look to make sure pullys are lineup right . New in 06 velocity plus decks have the 2 belt system and under floor pan where belts run looks much different than my 03 cub. Comparing the 03 cub to my 06 wildcat

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I converted my Scag Tiger from one to a two belt system and it took me about 4 hours. I did have to drop the deck but that wasn't bad. The only special tool was a torque wrench. Scag provided the parts but...my unit was less than two years old. Hope the two new belt which cost almost $80 last longer than the $60 single belt.....I got backup belts.

7. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 05 wildcat with one belt will scag warranty a two belt.

8. chuck bow

I certainly would check with your dealer. I feel if you own one of the problem decks the dealer or Scag it self should notify you as they know who buys the units new . I mean if you have a recall on your trucks or autos you get a notice in the mail or at least i do

9. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmm. Thats the first thing I have heard about this belt issue. I have around 400 hrs. on my Wildcat and still running the same belt. Probably need to get a couple backups for thisyear I guess. Thanks for the heads up.

10. chuck bow

i Have a backup belt or 2 for every machine hanging in the shop now , plus some of the idler pullys ect