1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

belt life

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by lazer 46, Jul 2, 2002.

1. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

A friend of mine in the Lawn Care business has a 60 inch Lazer that has to be at least 6 or 7 years old. I asked him yesterday how many hours on it and he said over 1000. How many belts I asked him did he replace. He said none. All are the original belts. What is the normal belt life on these machines when properly maintained? 1000 hrs seems like a lot to me.
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

lazer 46:

It's not abnormal for a belt, when properly cared for, to last for 1000 hrs. +. The key words here are "proper care." In order to maximize the life of any belt, there are a few things you can do:

--Avoid striking objects when possible. Any time the Operator strikes an object, it puts a major strain on the belt because the blade and pulley stop spinning, but the belt still turns. This will burn the belt, which creates a slick spot. As a result, the belt will want to slip when it reaches that point. If the impact is violent enough, it can even snap the belt, which would obviously reduce the life of the belt :eek:!

--Engage the blades at low RPM's. It's quite a shock to the belt (and the clutch) when the Operator engages the blades at full throttle. Half throttle should be enough to get the blades turning without negatively affecting the life of the belt.

--Keep debris from collecting around the belt. If you have a bunch of grass clippings packed under the belt shields or covers, this creates friction. Friction and heat cause the belt to wear. This is why we recommend that you frequently clean these areas with compressed air to keep the grass clippings and trash from building up. Friction & Heat = Bad. . .Clean pump drive and deck drive belt areas = Good.

--Be sure to grease all of the spring loaded idlers. When the Operators grease these, this helps to assure that proper tension is being applied to the belts. If you fail to grease some of these idlers, they may stick occasionally or freeze up all together on you. As a result, the idlers do not take the slack out of the belt, and the belt may slip or even jump off the pulley. Some units, like the Metro or Viking Hydro, do not have spring loaded idlers that automatically take the slack out of the belt. It is critical that you adjust these as specified in the Operator's Manual.

--Chemicals, such as fertilizer, are hard on the belts. There isn't a whole lot you can do to keep this off of the belts. The best thing you can do is keep the clippings from building up under the belt shields/covers. You don't really want to pressure wash the belts off.

--Belts exposed to moisture over a long period of time can cause them to dry rot. This is more for units that are stored for a long period of time. If you use them frequently, you don't have to worry much about this. Also, belts under tension for an extended period of time can develop a flat spot where the belt rides against the pulley or idler. This may also reduce the life of the belt. If you're going to store the unit for a long time, you could remove the belt or at least take the tension off of it.

--Finally, make sure that your belts are running straight on the pulleys. Sometimes after guys strike an object they forget to check the pulley alignment. If the pulley is not correctly aligned, the belt may be riding on the top or bottom side of the pulley, this can prematurely wear the bottom or top side of the belt.

I think that just about covers it. If any of you can think of anything that I'm missing, please feel free to create another post and add to the list.

Here to help,

Exmark Customer Support