Belt Lifespan?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Ormond32176, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Ormond32176

Ormond32176 LawnSite Member

Just bought a 36" Gravely walkbehind. The belt that runs around the deck just broke with 8.5 total hours on the mower. Probably 6 hours or so of actual cutting, and never used it in anything more testing than St. Augustine.

Is this normal? I would think I could get a lot longer than that out of one. Anyone know of a reason why it might go?

Here is a picture if it helps:
    [​IMG]

2. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say its not normal, but how old is the belt?

3. Ormond32176

Ormond32176 LawnSite Member

Idk it's a 2013 mower, with less than 10 hours.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 LawnSite Senior Member

From the picture, that's a clean break, meaning you fot something binding somewhere. It does'nt look shreaded, which would indicate more of a pulley problem. I do see a line in the v portion of the belt, so there may also be a pulley with a groove in it somewhere, or mis-aligned.

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like someone turned the blades on while in the grass.

Oldtimer

6. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have your answer but a friend of mine bought a brand new Scag walk behind last year. He used it a week or two and the deck belt broke. They would not warranty it at the dealer. It never happened again. The dealer told him that any kind of debris coulda got lodged anywhere and done it???

7. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes you get a belt that's defective off the shelf, too.

I would just install a new one, make sure it's routed proper and that the tension is about right and let it fly.

On that note order up two.

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Either adjusted to tight or idler pulley binding or as mentioned it was started after stalling out in the grass.
    Posted via Mobile Device