Belt Longevity of Belt Drive W/B?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ToughAsStihl, Aug 9, 2006.

1. ToughAsStihl

ToughAsStihl LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Whats the average life of a drive belt on a belt drive walk behind?

2. ToughAsStihl

from Vermont

I need to know whether it is worth the extra money to buy a hydro.

3. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

my 01 exmark has its original wheel belts and its been used for 15-20 lawns a week since new

i think it comes down to the size of the unit your looking at i own both a late 80s bobcat 36 and 01 exmark 48" both are belt drive mowers both have original belts, the belts on the bobcat should be replaced because you can tell they start to slip going up hills but its light and you can really throw it around when compared to the much heavyer exmark, if i get the bobcat stuck in a corner i can just pull it out but the with the exmark im pretty much screwed since the rev assist doesnt do much assisting at all, so if i had to do it again i would definitly get anything larger than 36 with hydro just for the rev.

if you cant afford the hydro in a new model look for one slightly used these comm mowers last a long time if taken care of i dont know why some people have problems with buying used stuff i guess they just dont know how to work on them so they need a warrenty but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to replace belts or pulleys or even most engines can be changed in under 2 hours most only have like 5 bolts 1 wire and a throttle cable

4. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

when your trying to climb up a steep grade, and those old belts are slippin' and sliding, you won't care about belt costs, you'll be crying for a hydro. Some things you can't cost out, like wear and tear on your body. Trust me, I ran gear drives for years, before hydro's really made their debut, and my hands remind me where they've been everyday,(or everynight, actually, when they fall asleep and wake me up!)

5. ToughAsStihl

from Vermont

I am looking at either a 40in or a 48in Toro with a Turbo Force deck. I would like a hydro but cost and pistol grips has changed my view to the belt drive T-Bar.

Is pistol grip hydro worse on the hands and arms than a T-Bar belt drive?

6. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a scag 48 belt drive walkbehind its about 6 years old now and still has the original belts.I only use it a a couple hours a week now but i havnt had any major problems going up hills. Only time it would slip a lot is during wet conditions.

7. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

how many lawns a week your cutting would determin if the t bar is needed

if your cutting

80-week-tbar HYDRO

20-week-pistol would be fine

mine is pistol and ive never had a problem with my hands but i only cut for 3 or 4 hours a day and 1/3 that is trimming if i was accaully using it 8 hours a day and only cutting it would get old fast

if your getting a 48 spend the extra for the hydro the 1st time you get it stuck in a corning going down hill you thank yourself cause with a belt youll need help getting it out

8. ToughAsStihl

from Vermont

Yeah we are only talking 10-15 yards.

What about a Red Hawk hydro? My dealer says they are good.

9. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have any personal experience with them, but I've read several threads on them, and the consensus is that they are Chinese crap.

10. ToughAsStihl

from Vermont

Thats what I thought. But it come with a 7 gauge welded deck 18 horse Kohler. That just makes me question that its crap. I think its the same warranty as Toro less horse power than Toro. Plus like $1,000 less. So? Maybe it would be ok for 10-15 yards. Plus my dealer has a program that when the equipment is in for work you get a loaner for free.