Belt Messing Up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robmorris, Nov 11, 2007.

1. robmorris

robmorris LawnSite Member

I only have 10 hours on a new ZTR mower, and I noticed smoke coming from the deck. I turned off the blades and open the flap to view the mower belts. There were little black bits of belt, (about the size of the tip of a toothpick) inside the belt housing. Also the belt looked twisted. I bumped the blade switch on and then quickly turned it back off. Looked at the belt again and it appeared to untwist itself. I continued to mow two more hours and no problem. WHAT HAPPENED and was this a freak accident, or do I need to take it in for service? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rob

2. Skyking

Skyking LawnSite Member

Only 10 hrs? If it is new let the dealer check it out

3. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

Its not a Toro 60 inch with a 30 kohler,.....is it?

4. robmorris

No. It's a 593-D 60 inch. 23 HP diesel.

Rob

5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

sounds like the belt was twisted when it was installed ? in either case get it back to the dealer.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know, but it's always the most expensive belts do that to me also, right when they're brand new, now it's broken in.

7. robmorris

I really appreciate you guys. When little things like this happen, I really start getting buyers remorse and second guessing my choices.

Rob

8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

thats an expensive mower. All too often I see guys buying twice the mower they need. Our 48 zmasters have given us fairly dependable service. 48 may or may not be the perfect choice for you but it was for us. We have serviced anywhere from 4 acres+ this year (6 hours straight mower time) to cookie cutter accts and besides the spindles going out from the hack dealers fault its been good.