belt on deck keep jumping off pulley's

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SPENCER HUNTER, Nov 16, 2007.

1. SPENCER HUNTER

SPENCER HUNTER LawnSite Member

well i have a 07 hustler mini-z 19kaw.. the belt keeps jumping off,on the deck,, in the owner manuel doesn't tell you what setting the tension spring with the chain on one end ,, what link do u tighten it to the slot on the mowing deck 1st or 2nd or 3rd link of the chain,,,, how do u know when the belt is in the proper tension mode to keep this from happening again,,, your help will be greatly appreciated,,,,,,,:confused:

2. TimTim2008

TimTim2008 LawnSite Bronze Member

is the belt old? or is it a new belt?

3. SAKuhn

SAKuhn LawnSite Member

The following is from the Mini Z Owners Manual (page 5-4). Also check to make sure you don't have anything stuck in the pulley. We had a Super Z earlier this year that would not keep a belt on, found a stick wedge into the pulley, so everytime it hit the belt, it would pop the belt off. Hope this helps.
    ------------------------
    Deck drive belt adjustment
    The spindle belt tension remains constant by means of a
    tension idler and spring (Fig. 5-13). The spring tension
    should be such that the belt does not slip under normal
    operating load conditions, assuming the belt is not
    excessively worn or damaged. As belt stretches and wears
    in, adjustment may become necessary. To increase belt
    tension, move the spring chain one (or more) link(s) at the
    anchor bracket (Fig. 5-13). Installed spring length should be
    7.75" ± .3" (19.7 cm ± .76 cm) originally with adjustments
    of .60" (15.2mm) per chain link. (Fig. 5-14)
    IMPORTANT: Do not over tension the spring to
    compensate for a badly worn belt or pulley.

4. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

seems like a weird way to keep tension right on the belt . They need to have some type of self tighting tensioner like scag has . Thats why i never did like hustler

5. TREEGUARD

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

It' s time to either change the belt or the pully might be worn out. to check if pully is bad pinch the belt around the pully if the belt is flush with the pully is bad & u need to change both

6. SPENCER HUNTER

SPENCER HUNTER LawnSite Member

My Belt Has A Little Over 60 Hr's On It,, That Is It I Have The Spring Tension On The 2nd Link Of The Chain As Of Now,, I'll Try That 1st To See If That Works Any Better,,

7. ojpent

ojpent LawnSite Member

make sure that your pulleys are lined up if not it doesn't matter what you do the belt will always jump the pulley!!

8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

How could you possibly know if you like or don't like Hustler's. You haven't looked at one close enough to know it does have a spring tensioned pulley to keep the deck belt tight, it would be kind of hard to tighten one with a chain, don't you think?

You go by the spring length not what link the chain is in, it sounds like you are not tight enough, come back and let us know.

9. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I Know i dont like them I have run a fellow LCO for a week or so and hated them for to many reasons to list Thats how i know Then whats the chain for? to hold something in place? I dont see my Scags having chains on the deck tensioners , They have very very large springs on the deck belt tensioners and no chains and i never worry about if belt has enough tension on it i just trust what the thing was designed for and how it works> after 600 hrs belt gets a little wear and tear on it and i change it

10. BAKERS

BAKERS LawnSite Member

Is it the 19hp 42 Mini Z, if so contact your dealer there are some updates/bulletins on that machine.