belt or hydraulic???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by adcare lawns and gardens, Jan 17, 2008.

1. adcare lawns and gardens

adcare lawns and gardens LawnSite Member

im looking at walk behind mowers today.... what is better belt or hydraulic???

2. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Imo, belt drives are a waste of money esp if you're mowing on inclines. Been there and done that. Hydro is the only way to go.

3. RM n WS

RM n WS LawnSite Member

Hydro, all day long, but expensive!

4. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

Belts are what you buy if you can't afford a hydro. Hydro is much better and more reliable. Plus, dual hydro is much easier to use than belt.

5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Hydraulic is better in a lot of ways you don’t have to push it back wards the belts don’t slip when wet. :drinkup:

13-07-2006-4417.jpg

6. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I personally dont think a hydro is worth the money unless you have alot of hills. Belts work fine and are very easy to use if you know how to properly use one. If your cool with spending the money for a hydro go for it but I wouldn't.

7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

If you go with a belt drive, get a T-bar by Toro, it is light years ahead of pistol grip control systems. I would take a belt driven T-bar over a pistol grip hydro even. Make the dealers let you operate several different machines before you buy.

8. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

The best thing you can do is to demo both of them on grass. A belt drive is cheaper, a little lighter, and they are easy to turn but they tear the turf easier, the belts sometimes slip when they are wet, and you have to pull the crap out of them to go backwards. Hydro is a lot easier on the body also. I would say get the hydro if you can afford it. If you can't afford it wait until you can! The ones that are telling you to get the belt drive are the ones that don't have a hydro- Misery loves company! Just my opinion.

9. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

what size mower are you looking at? Anything over a 32" a dual hydro system is a must. 32" and under you can probably get away with belt drive.

Also, how often will you be using this mower? Once a month for an hour? if so then belt, otherwise hydro again.

10. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

hydros with dual pumps only