belt popping off pulley

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by flywheel220, Jun 25, 2005.

1. flywheel220

flywheel220 LawnSite Member

Hi,
    My murray riding lawnmower has been tearing up my belts. The belt that powers the blades will pop off all pulleys after 3 minutes of cutting grass. When I try to put it back on I notice that each time it pops off there is a cut in the belt. It even gets jammed between the belt guides. How do I solved this? I'd hate to buy a belt every 3 minutes!

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you checked to make sure you have it on correctly?

Also are you sure you have the correct size?

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

There could also be a spindle problem. Do they all spin free? Tight?

4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

also it could be too tight or too loose.......

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure your deck is level,If the front is too low it could cause this problem,Also check the idler pulley bracket for up & down movement,There is a step bushing that wears in there. Lastly check all belt guides for proper adjustment.

6. flywheel220

I have the correct belt, I've just replaced the bearings in the mandrel housing. The deck appears to lean towards the front of the mower too much. How do I make it level? I don't know about the belt guides, however the belt goes on easily on all pulleys except the engine pulley. It is a little difficult. The belt tension is rather loose compared to my other mowers.

7. Restrorob

The belt is probably too loose because of the deck tilted down on the front,If you post the model number off your unit I can look it up,Then I can tell you how to adjust it back up in front.
    Different models have different adjustments.

8. flywheel220

The model number is 42703A.

9. Restrorob

Ok, On each side of your deck is a rod that runs up to a bracket under the running boards. Lower the deck and remove the clips holding the adjuster then raise the front of the deck by hand and slide a board or something under to hold the deck up slightly higher than level. Then move the adjusters on the rods so they will slide back in the holes and install clips. Adjust as needed to level the front.

10. flywheel220

Thanks a million! I'll try this tomorrow evening since I work full time.