Belt price????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Snapped the deck belt on the Tiger Cub, stopped at the local Scag dealer and he charged me $79.99... Does that sound way over priced?????

2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

he's probably right my belts are almost $50 each for a walk behind.

3. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Buying belts from the dealer can be very costly! My Hustler super walk-behind has a 147’’ belt for the deck, (it’s a B144) I went to Bearing Headquarters and purchased the same belt for $16.00. I don’t know what Hustler would charge for it but I would bet it would be a lot higher than that.
    Just get a phone book and look for industrial supply companies.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

All depends on how badly you need it.

If you were in the middle of your mowing schedule, and it's been raining for 2 weeks and you're 3 days behind, that belt is worth $100.

If you've got 3 sitting at home, but you just don't want to drive home to get one, that belt is worth about $30 (cost of gas / downtime).

I've got one dealer, about 25 miles from here, that's got every part for every model of every mower in stock.

I know the part is going to cost me about 30-40% more than the local guy, but the local guy will hardly ever have it in stock.

So... what do I do?? If it's something that I need, and can't wait for 2-3 days to get it off of the internet, or it's after 1 pm so I can't have it shipped next day and pay the freight, I pay the "surcharge".

It takes money to have all these parts in stock, just sitting on the shelf, that's why you're paying more.

If you don't want to pay it, take your $80, look up J-Thomas.com, or the other sites on the internet (can't think of them right now) and order 2 belts for $40 each, that way you have them in the truck next time.

5. Jon99

Thanks for the J Thomas... Same belt there costs me $39.99.. How much will they ding me for shipping???

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I keep complete set of spare belts on my standers. So if I break one, I can fix it on the spot.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Shipping isn't that bad...call them, it's toll free. they can tell you an exact price right to your door. Also, go to your local yellow pages and look under headings like industrial supply. We have some places around here that I can get that same belt for around 20 bucks.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I got belts from NAPA few times-they crossreferenced to some other brand. The net was the belt stretched beyond what I could deal with on the idler. This was the case on three different mowers...but good luck!

9. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

You can get belts, filters, tires...etc. at J-thomas for about 1/2 the dealer prices. I always carry spare belts for the deck and hydros. If one breaks you don't loose time and money trying to find a replacement.

10. Jon99

If I call an industrial supply place, can I just bring the belt in and they will find one that fits???? Looks like if I call J-Thomas, I won't get the belt until Wednesday, was planning on mowing a cemetery on Wednesday...