belt/pulley problem

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by sparkee, May 6, 2008.

1. sparkee

sparkee LawnSite Member

I bought my Mini Z/42 mids-summer last year. I use it at home only mowing about one acre. After a few mowings the mower belt broke. I returned it to my dealer who prompty replaced the belt. He mentioned something about I may have been cutting too low. Didn't really understand that since it would appear to me it is designed to cut any level on the guage. Anyway, I cut my grass at average height. This season on second mowing I noticed the mower belt was twisted and I straightened it. I replaced it to the same tension it was set by dealer which appears to be about right. On third mowing the belt broke again. I called dealer who told me to bring it in because a pulley isn't lined up right and I would need it replaced. He said Hustler had a "fix" for it. What's going on? It has 37 hours on it and I payed well over twice I have paid for any mower I have ever owned. It is a real hassle to have to return it 25 miles to my dealer twice in less than a year. My neighbor laughs at me while he cuts his lawn with a much cheaper mower from Wal-Mart while my grass grows awaiting me to find the time to take it back once again. Is this something that can be fixed or will it be a continueing problem?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

There is a update for 36/42 mowers experiencing this problem.
    This generally happened when mowing in lower cutting heights.
    Your dealer is correct.
    Let them get it updated and you shouldn't experience this problem again.

Pj

3. sparkee

sparkee LawnSite Member

OK, I got it back to the dealer and he replaced a pulley. It looks like it is lined up properly now and hopefully there are no more problems. I have one concern though. It seems to me that Hustler knew this was a problem at some point. Why was I not contacted to have this fixed, maybe in the off season? It would have been so much better to be able to bring it in at my convienence rather than it breaking while I was mowing and then being delayed several days. It makes me wonder what other hidden problems may be awaiting me. Hustler seems to be a good company who stands behind thier product and responds well when necessary but I think they dropped the ball on this issue. Are other owners being contacted to take care of the problem and will I be contacted if there are other problems the company becomes aware of?

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am glad they took care of this for you, this is not something that has been a issue for to long.
    This is what we have your dealers for, they can always check for a update or such.
    If there is a safety recall you will be notified by us and the dealer generally.

5. integrat

integrat LawnSite Member
    from la

I have the same problem. Brought it to the dealer, after it sat there for 3 weeks I went got it. They told me they cannot get the repair kits and to just keep checking back till the can. They also said the belt is not covered. This will be the 5th time for this problem.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

E-mail me your information please, name and contact phone #, model and serial # and your dealer information.
    I will get this looked into.

Pj

7. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

Who is your dealer? I would be happy to help you. I work with many dealers in Iowa.

8. SPENCER HUNTER

SPENCER HUNTER LawnSite Member

,AFTER I DID SOME RESEARCH AND TALKED TO ANOTHER DEALERSHIP,, THEY TOLD ME THAT THE PULLEY FOR THE PTO HAS TO BE REPLACED ANY WAY THE PULLEY LOOKS LIKE A SPACER HAS BEEN ADDED TO MAKE BELT LOWER ON THE SHAFT NOW THE BELT IS IN A LEVEL POSITION INSTEAD OF A ANGLE,,, AFTER REPLACING 3 BELTS AT $40.00 ,Each,,SOME THING HAD TO BE DONE,,,NOW EVERY THING SEEMS TO WORKING GREAT,, NO MORE PROBLEMS,,,,,WAY TO GO HUSTLER,,,,:drinkup:,,,,