belt question

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by timmac, Aug 2, 2009.

1. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

i replaced my deck belt yesterday and the new belt is about 2-3 inches shorter than the old belt. the idler pulley does not come up as far as it did with the old belt. the blades still engage and it mowed fine. should i worry about it or just keep mowing.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Your old belt was stretched, but I dont know if it would of stretched that much, is the new belt a Hustler belt or aftermarket?
    If its on and engages and mows ok then your likely fine.

Pj

3. timmac

i think the new belt is actually for the excel 27 60 ztr. my mower is the old non xr7deck. i got it from mowpart.com and this belt was supposed to be for the excel and hustler 27 60 deck. thanks

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The part # for your non XR-7 60" deck belt is 781310
    The part # for the 60" XR-7 deck belt is 797720

5. timmac

that is the one i got? i made sure of the part number before i ordered it. the old belt lasted about 500 hours. another question. i don't think my rpm's are set high enough. how do you adjust them? thanks

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Did you buy a Hustler belt from them or a aftermarket?
    As to the engine RPM's, this is adjusted at the engine in the throttle control and governor adjustments, this typically is a dealer adjustment, if not adjusted correctly you could do some major engine damage.
    A search on Google will turn up the instructions to adjust this.

Pj