belt sander for sharpening

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by flyboy03, Jun 1, 2004.

1. flyboy03

flyboy03 LawnSite Member

can all using the belt sander sharpening option please post photo's of your set up? i would be very interested in the set up by Member burnandreturn. his previous post below.

I use a belt sander with a two inch by six foot belt, 36 grit. I've tried lot's of different ways to sharpen blades and this seems to be the fastest and best of all. I don't have to adjust for grind stone wheel wear and the belts are cheap and changeable instantly. I built the belt sander and a platform for the blades at the correct angle.:p
  2. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

I will take pictures tomorrow and post them.
  3. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I've been looking into something to sharpen blades lately. I'm either just going to use an angle grinder or perhaps "something" like this...........

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

When I broke my bench grinder, I used a narrow belt sander for two weeks. Then I bought a new one. I am going to buy a blade grinder.
  5. burnandreturn

Male, from Germany

Here are a couple of pictures of what I use to sharpen my blades.

6. burnandreturn

Male, from Germany

Picture of the belt sander

7. Craig T

Craig T LawnSite Member

KBC Tool sells a Belt Sander/Grinder part#6-150-002 it sells for $157.00 Not bad, but at that price its an import. A vertical belt sander with the Baldor motor sells between $500.00 and $800.00 You need at least a 2 inch wide belt to do blades and 1/2 hp motor. Replacement belts are $3.00 No bench grinder can sharpen blades like a belt sander. Can you flex a wheel around the contour of an off set mulching blade and maintain the smooth finish all in 1 pass without gashing into the blade? Maybe if your good at hand grinding.. You can a belt. And yes a 36 grit will remove just as much meat as the the grinding wheel if needed.
  8. burnandreturn

Male, from Germany

The belt sander in the picture has a 3/4 hp motor and I am building another one with a 1 hp. A 1/2 hp will work but not real well. The new one will be a different configuration. The belt will be in a trianglular manner with the motor in the back and a sping tension arm holding the top bearings. I will still use the soft wheel on the bottom on a shaft with the wire wheel mounted opposite the soft wheel. The belt will be on the right.
  9. craigs lawncare

craigs lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a blade sharpener from Oregon. It has a 1/2 horsepower motor and a nice smooth surface to hold the blade steady for $250.00.
    It has an adjustment knob on it which allows you to raise and lower the grinding wheel to control the angle you wish to grind and the 1/2 horse motor has plenty of power. It also has a light, that I have not used yet but I am sure is nice in dark conditions in your shop.

The Oregon blade sharpener was the best dollar/quality value sharpener I could find.
    Much cheaper than most of the other blade grinders which seemed to start at or above $500.00 and a heck of a lot better than using the traditional grinding wheel in my dads shop. The Oregon sharpener leaves a nice edge.

Are there better systems out there... probably. But for $250.00 coupled with the increased cost of $4.00 per blade I was paying for sharpening, this little baby will pay for it self by the end of this year. Not to mention the gas and my time it was taking for me to take the blades into the sharpener for servicing.

Hope this little review helps.
    I cant think of the model # right off hand but if you are interested, I can check it out.
  10. flyboy03

flyboy03 LawnSite Member

i like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!