belt tension

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Ryan Lightning, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

I noticed on my TTHP48 that the tension pully is moving about a inch are more when the blades are running and the belt bounces around about the same. Is this normal? I asked the dealer and he said it should be moving that much, and he didnt know much more, I figured Id get a better answer here.

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Ryan - I have the same machine as mine also does that. It moves a lot when first engaging. I'm not sure what is normal, so I'm interested in the response too.

Darryl

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Guys,

I'm assuming your talking about the spring-loaded idler on the top of the mower deck.

What you really want to do is turn the deck and the engine off. Grab a hold of the pulley and work it up and down, back and forth etc. Look to see how much play your really have. Because it's difficult to get at eye level with the pulley and the rate that it is moving back and forth you will often get the appearance that it is moving up and down excessively. You'll probably find that there isn't that much play in the pivot/bearings etc. Some play is necessary especially in the idler pivot. It is very important that this pivot have little or no resistance to rotating. If it drags at all it can cause belt slippage.

Belt shake is common and probably not an issue. A high or low spot can often cause excessive belt shake. This inconsistent area can be on the front, back or sides of the belt. A pulley that is bent or out of round, debris in a pulley or in rare cases and extremely damaged bearing can as well.

Take a look and let me know what you see.

Thanks

Terry