Belt vs Hydro pros & cons

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milkie62, May 15, 2008.

1. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

I will be in market for a 32 or 36" walkbehind.Any pros and cons over belt vs hydro ? I have a 44" T-bar Toro belt now.Also what size gates is everyone encountering ? That is why I cannot decide on the 32 or 36" I suppose it would have to be a 32 since a 36 will not fit through a 36" gate.Is a 36 " gate somewhat std in size ?

2. Turf66

Turf66 LawnSite Member

I run almost all 36" exmark hydro's and have run across a few gates that i can't get into and i use my smaller mower (26: metro), they are smaller back yards and it suits what we are doing. I sold a 48" WB because it sat in the shop most of the time due to the fact that we cut a lot of smaller lots. It seems you can't have the perfect mower for every situatuion. I like the 36" mower and you have lots of choices in brands if you are uncertain of what you like. I tend to stay with the same brand so that the parts are interchangeable for parts stocking. Exmark got me on the deck change and spindle change in 05' so I have one oddball 15/16" bolt size(crazy,HUH!!) I am not familiar with any of the 32" hydro's, I use the smaller exmark for medians and such. I guess if a property is worth the $$$ I would get a medium size mower or pay for a bigger gate!! cheaper than buying a new mower!!!!