Belt ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Apr 1, 2006.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an exmark turftracer hp and when I mow in just slightly tall grass it bogs down like crazy. Blades almost stop completly. The mower is only a year old or so and I havn't changed any belts on it yet. Do you think its the belt. I don't even think its worn but I don't know what to look for either. I know the engine should be able to handle this stuff its really nothing for the mower.

2. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

yep , it's the belt .i just went through the same thing .changed the belt and it's like night and day .

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

grassy--if it is only a year old it is still under warranty. off to the dealer with you.

GEO :waving:

4. grassyfras

alright first thing Monday I'm there.

5. greenerdreams

greenerdreams LawnSite Member

does the engine bog or the blades stop. If it's either one or the other you could have a bad engine or bad belt. My turf tracer belt never slips even when very old, it just eventually shreds up.

6. grassyfras

I hope its not the engine that sounds expensive and I think the mower is two years old now that I think about it. I better double check.

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Belts arent warranted with the mower, even if the mower is still under warranty just to let you know. I don't know if your dealer will charge you if he finds that it is just the belt, you may want to try to replace the belt first. just my .02

8. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

If its only a year old it might be as simple as the belt needing to be adjusted. As belts get older they tend to get stretched out so every once in a while they need adjustment.

9. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

Gravely warrants belts

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

But he has an eXmark, not a gravely