1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

beltdrive wb's and rain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snapper, Apr 2, 2004.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

I see why rain and belt drive wb's dont mix. I had to mow some yards today and it was wet. It is a gravely and man did they slip when they got wet. I was riding a sulky or else it proably would of done all right. I was all most done anyway so i just went on. But i am glad i dont mow in the rain much.. Any of you expierence this when wet out??

Thanks guys!! snapper
  2. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

My 36" toro belt with sulky has never slipped on me.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The soil conditions there may allow for mowing in the rain, but not here without really bad ruts. Next time take the sulky off and see how it does.
  4. Camelot Gardens Uk

Camelot Gardens Uk LawnSite Member

I only use 21"" Honda 536, they are all shaft driven, expensive at $2400 but they never stop. Had a bad experience with belts 3 yrs ago never again.
  5. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

Apparently there is a belt conditioner you can buy to apply on your belts that make them tacky. It's suppose to work better in the rain but it cuts the life of your belts significantly. You get it at a farm equipment store I'm still looking for it.

If you haven't experienced slipping with a belt drive WB in the rain you haven't had to mow in the real rain!!!!
    It's not the rain that's the problem it's the green juice from the wet grass on your belt.
  6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

To put your mind at ease, I've got so far as to use spray contact cement to keep the belts from slipping...... Doesn't hurt the belts, but when they get real wet nothing helps.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

push the damn thing don't be so lazy
  8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

show me a 21" mower that costs 2400.00

I only use 21"" Honda 536, they are all shaft driven, expensive at $2400
  9. Kady Landscape

Kady Landscape LawnSite Member

I have a belt drive Toro 48" w/b, it's a great mower. But it won't get out of its own way when its raining. It's the price you pay when you don't anty up for the hydro. In my mind, the belt drive is worth the savings though.
  10. ib2old

ib2old LawnSite Member

i have drilled 1/8 inch holes in drive pulleys, and have had good luck with that! also have used hair spray, just my 02!!!!