Belts come off pulleys!!!

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by cutterj, Jan 3, 2003.

1. cutterj

cutterj LawnSite Member

Ive got a 36" Metro that i purchased at the beginging of the season. It worked good for awhile, but i soon started have problems with the belts that drive the wheels coming off the pulleys. I made adjustments to make the belts tighter, but then it doesnt stop or turn well. Also, when u change the tension to keep it from falling off, it rolls in park. Let me know what i can do to make it work like it supposed to.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Cutter J,

Thanks for the post. Normally when we hear comments regarding the drive belts coming off it in reverse or while pulling the machine backwards.

The Metro will roll while in park. The only way of preventing this by placing the thumb latch in the park brake position.

To correct the belt issue I would recommend that you look at the belt tensioning idler pulley/arm assembly. If the arm has become worn or bent the pulley will not ride square to the drive pulleys and cause the belt to come off from time to time. If it's bent the simple fix is to bend it back into place. This is often accomplished employing the ever popular and highly complex rubber mallet technique. This technique has been passed down from generation to generation since the invention of rubber. This works great when the arm must be bent back in toward the machine. If the arm is worn you can replace it, the hardware or more than likely you can be by employing the rubber mallet technique. If the arm needs to be pulled out away from the mower to make it square to the drive pulleys you can also use a locking pliers or an adjustable wrench to grip the arm and bent it back into alignment. You should also look for damage or wear to the drive pulley’s at the wheels and the output shafts. If they are bent or damaged replace them.

Please feel free to contact me at your convenience if I can be of any further assistance.

Thanks

Terry

3. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Cutterj, Why don't you take it back to the dealer and let them look at it? Couldn't this be covered under warranty? Just a thought.