Belts comming off pulleys

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Coach, May 2, 2003.

1. Coach

Coach LawnSite Member

I have a Lazer 60. I am having problems with the bottom belt coming off and sliping up on the top pulley (turns the deck). There is only 28 hrs. on mower. The orginal belt broke after only 18 hrs. they did replace the belt with aftermarket belt. It does make a click sound if I engage blade while deck is down, however, when I engage blades while deck is up I do not notice the noise.
    Any comments to problem and ways to deal with until I have time to take back to dealer.

Thanks Coach...

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Coach,

It's difficult to say what's going on for sure with out the dealer doing a through inspection.

Shoot me an e-mail at terry.eckert@exmark.com with your serial number and the name of your dealer and I'll give them a call with anything we thing should to be looked at.

Thanks

Terry

3. Coach

Coach LawnSite Member

They are awhere of the problem. I just have to have the free time to take to them.. Thanks for replying. I was hoping that someone has experienced the same problem.. This site is really great to pick up little pointers.. Coach

4. eXmark

Coach,

There are only a couple of things that could be causing your problem. Your s/n could help me narrow it down however.

First look at the adjustment for the "mule" drive belt in your manual. It's possible that it is out of adjustment but that is an extremely remote possibility with the few hours you have on the unit.

Next we would need to look at what you mowing and determine if it is possible that something is getting thrown into the belt path and throwing the belt off. This again would be extremely unusual on the Lazer but not unheard of.

Next we need the dealer to inspect the pulley assembly at the back of the deck. We had a few units go out with the bottom pulley out of spec. There's not way to tell if yours is one of them or not without inspecting it.

Those are may best guesses but an inspection by your dealer should be able to locate the problem.

Let me know what you find out from the dealer. What ever is going on we want to make it right.

Thanks

Terry

5. Coach

Coach LawnSite Member

Terry,
    Despite the small problem I am having am very pleased with the two Exmarks I have. The striper units really make my job look professional, for a person who does it on a semi-professional level.. I will let you know what I find out. My dealer said it is possible the pully assembly could be out of line. We will find out.

Thanks....Coach

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Check the pulley. Make sure the outer lip on any of them is not bent. If it is even slightly it will let the belt ride up and over it. Mine did that one time. I took the pulley and tapped it back down. Problem solved and 600 hours later.

7. eXmark

Coach,

Fred was just reading your post and thought maybe the belts were installed incorrectly. The "mule drive" belt coming from the engine should be on the bottom pulley and the deck belt should be on the top.

Check it out and let me know what you find.

Thanks

Terry

8. Coach

Coach LawnSite Member

The belts are installed correctly....Mule drive belt is on the bottom...It happend again this weekend except this time the mule drive belt popped off the pulley's......Instead of slipping up on the top pully. Put it back on and mowed fine... I was mowing in some pretty tall thick stuff...
    The belt was cut in one spot....but mowed fine...

Coach

9. dklawncare

dklawncare LawnSite Member

I had a belt snap also after 100 hrs...no biggy, i just took it back to the dealer and had him fix it, warrantee covered it (the biggest pain was having to load that heavy machine on my trailer ;) The dealer did say he had a couple do the exact same thing and he was talking with exmark, so i don't know how that went....other than that it purrs like a kitten...