1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Belts for Toro SFS 44

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J. Davis, Jan 10, 2004.

1. J. Davis

J. Davis LawnSite Member

The right wheel belt on my Toro SFS 44 has been replaced 4x over the last 2 years. The left belt is the same that came on the machine new.... and continues to look new.
    Two question...........Could this be a user style problem (turning in one direction most of the time) or could it be a mechanical problem? This machine is used on 4-5 yards a week (same person) and the belts are adjusted according to factory specs....also the belts are the old "v" belt style.....

2. curry

curry LawnSite Member

Mine did the same thing. Replaced 2 belts in 3 months. Dealer then put on some high dollar kevlar belt and it hasnt been replaced in the last 1.5 years. Mine was under warrenty so I didnt pay anything so I dont know how much the kevlar belt runs.

3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

My question is- How did you determine the belt needed replacement, was it stretched out, broken, cracked? We never had a problem when we ran our belt-drives, the belts got stretched out over time so we just adjusted the t-bar rods a bit, we only replaced them every other year at most due to necessity. We used to use a bungee around the t-bar for a brake because the flip-out brake was not sufficient, this made the belt tend to stretch out a little bit. We used them about 400-500 hours per season. Sounds like an adjustment needs top be made on the t-bar rods.

4. J. Davis

J. Davis LawnSite Member

During heavy use (late summer with lots of rain in Alabama) I started to notice that the belt (right side only) needed to be adjusted weekly. The left belt 1 to 2 times a cutting season. The right belt seemed to get small cracks across the belt (across the "V" shape). These cracks would get larger until the belt would pull-apart. The time frame was 1-2 months from the time I noticed the marks on the belt to it needed to be replaced. The cost of these belts are $25 - 35 in my area, not a lot of money, but money is money....!

5. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Have a 52 Toro w/b and had a 44 both belt drive. Had the 44about 5 yrs belts were dry rotted. Both about the same.
    replaced w oem Toro belt. I bought the 52 used March 02.

belts still ok. ED

6. Tommy D

Tommy D LawnSite Member

change the brass pully it's about $12.00 to $15.00 I had the same problem with one of my 52" Toro belt drives

7. J. Davis

J. Davis LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help.....I will change both items