Belts Jumping Off Great Dane Chariot Jr.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by renda454, Sep 22, 2004.

1. renda454

renda454 LawnSite Member

Is anyone else having problems with belts jumping off great dane chariot jr and if so, what did you do to correct the problem.

2. b & t lawn care

b & t lawn care LawnSite Member

My belt was jumping off on cutting deck it was because the idler arm bushing was to stiff. On my Dane the belt idler arm had no grease zerk so i put 1 in .You would think they would put 1 in, same as hydro belt idler arm.. How is your Dane for turning? Mine is really jerkey and hard to turn when stripping at end of cut when turning . I replaced both hydros and all linkages on steering controlls, thats if you can find parts . Brian

3. renda454

renda454 LawnSite Member

My Dane was Jerky and I changed the dampners on the control levers and it fixed it. They look like little shocks

4. b & t lawn care

b & t lawn care LawnSite Member

I tried the dampners and did not help any.Tried New hydro pumps, new pump arms and linkages but still no results. When I come to a stop, the wheels litteraly lock up and slide. Going down a slight slope while trying to slow machine down, the wheels will drag instead of slowing. :angry: You got any suggestions on how to solve these problems? Do you have any problems getting parts for yours? We wait over 6 weeks for a part, then I take it to my welder and he makes the part instead when possible. I love the performance & cut but won't have another on my trailor after this one.

5. renda454

renda454 LawnSite Member

I get some of my parts such as bearings, belts, clutchs and spindle parts from www.j-thomas.com. I'm sorry that the dampners didn't fix your problem. Someone will read your thread and will probally advise you on what to do.SORRY

6. renda454

renda454 LawnSite Member

I did like you said and took of arm put in a grease fitting and the belt has not jumped off any more. Thank you so much for the advise. The arm was totally froze up and would not move without using pry bar.

7. kwiseman

kwiseman LawnSite Member

I was having trouble with belt jumping off my Great Dane Chariot jr ,When I replaced the deck belt it would jump off each time after all summer I figured the belt was too tight after loosening it it has not jumped off sence...Keith

8. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

This problem was one of Dane's biggest failures in design. I worked in a Dane shop and we experienced the problem shortly after taking on the line. When we gor a shipment of new units, the first thing we did was install grease zerks in both the deck and hydro idler arms only to have crews bring them in later for the same reason--they just didn't get greased. After leaving the shop I saw the same thing in the Bobcat line. Although they did have grease zerks they didn't see a grease gun until problems developed.