1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Belts slinging off Toro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ACE, Oct 19, 2000.

1. ACE

ACE LawnSite Member

Please help anyone? I have a Toro 620Z and recently the deck started to shake a lot. Local dealer said my 20hp Onan had a harmonic imbalance. I have replaced all belts but still have so much vibration on the belts that the blade belt keeps coming off.
  2. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

Check spindels and pulleys and idlers.
  3. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

What model Toro Z is it and what year? If it's a 1998, then there is a pulley retrofit from Toro to keep the mule belt from constantly falling off. Ours was falling off all the time. Also check under the top deck plates where the grass accumulates. This can also cause the belts to work harder and jump off.

4. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

My belts got real hot once and belts strecthed and kept falling off and needed to be replaced
  5. ericksonbrad@hotmail.com

ericksonbrad@hotmail.com LawnSite Member

check inside of pulley v groove real carefully for anything that might be wedged inside like pebble wood ect... causing it to jump. another way to check is to turn belt by hand and see if belt has any high spots when doing this. that would be indicator of something underneath. maybe belt tesion?
  6. ACE

ACE LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the comments. Toro suggested that I check the pullys and tension on the pullies. I'm not sure about that becase they seem to have a fair amount. I may have wore spots on the pullies from locking the blades up in tall grass.
  7. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Loosen the idler pulley till its got flop when you engage it (WITH THE MOWER OFF!). Then tighten it till you get no more flop. I just did it on mine. My belt kept flying off when I let the blades spin down. Also, let the blades of easy by easing the lever back.