Belts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pace lawn care, Oct 9, 2000.

1. pace lawn care

pace lawn care LawnSite Member

Mowers with electric clutches. Does running double-blades seem to burn belts? Have 75 hours on mower and belts are slipping, anyone else have a problem. I hope doubles are not the problem, I like running them.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

How do you know that your belts are slipping? Are you grabbing two blades and trying to spin one? I can do this to mine, and it is normal. It takes a REALLY loose belt to make it slip. Are yours srping tensioned or bolt? Maybe something else is wrong. Try some belt dressing spray.

3. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have not noticed belt slipping with two blades, but noticed more strain on the electric clutch. It seems alot harder to engage the blades and they spin alot longer and turning off pto. After two attempts using double blades, I am back to single. I didn't notice enough difference with double to continue straining my mower.

4. pace lawn care

Dixie 1

Not sure it's my belts, thats what I'm trying to figure out. I can turn 1 spindle with ease. It leaves a lot of grass. I't has a tension spring only.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Gary,

If you can grab the blade spindle PULLEY and turn it and the belt doesn't move, you have a loose belt. Don't make the mistake of blaming poor cut quality on slipping belts. I had an old SCAG 48" that I thought was cutting poorly because of slipping belts. So, I tightened both belts so tight that in a week I had to replace all spindle bearings! A belt doesn't have to be tight to turn a blade. I would suspect other things. What type of mower is it? Is it known for a poor cut?

6. pace lawn care

Husqvarnar 61in. No when I first got it, it cut really well (but wouldn't cut clean at 9mph like they said) Until about 2 week ago. Leaves grass in random patches. My dealer knows less than I do about it, that's the problem. Good thing is, he will waranty what ever is wrong, even the belts. Just have to figure out what it is.
    Thanks for your help.