Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snapper, Mar 16, 2004.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

I got a queston on belts. Wheel belts for a gravely. Dealer wants 100$ for the four belts. A place in town called industrial belt and supply has the same size belts, all four, for 35$ I have had some say they wont last, and others say they will. I only mow say three or four yards a week. Should i gamble and go with the 35$ belts??? Or go with gravely belts?? Your opinion please...

Thanks snapper
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

go with the cheaper belts! you can also size match the belts @ an auto part shop too. I think i payed $13/ea at the autoshop last year for my belts, they hold up just as well.

Do you really think a lawnmower is going to put a belt through more abuse than a car? i don't think so.
  4. Mlc gmc03

Mlc gmc03 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

go for the cheaper ones deff they probably all come from the same factory one just says abc belts and one says gravely also for everybody out there napa now carries a line called blade runner i belive and they have the same factory belts at some darn good prices and there is no guessing because they have the books and stuff to match them to your mower i love it the dealer screws you on parts
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Do you go to the dealer for a fanbelt on your truck? No because they are way overpriced. Same as mower dealers.
  6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Go to a place that sells Goodyear belts, and buy the BX series. - they are center wolven to take the back bending that the tightner pulleys on lawn mowers create, and they will last a very long time. The Goodyear belt dealer can duplicate the size - For instance a BX 60 belt is actually 57" -- for some reason they add 3 numbers to the size - go figure:confused:
  7. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

Factory belts???....The only time I have used factory belts is when they come on
    a new machine....Save the $$ and get
    good aftermarket belts...They've worked well for me over the years....
  8. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 618 you can get belts here for almost anything. Good service and good prices.
  9. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I got tired of getting overcharged for belts by the Bunton dealers. I did a little homework and found out that there is only around 3 or 4 major manufacturers of belts in the country. The car, mower, motorcycle, etc.. dealers order them through the belt manufacturers who stamps their name (Textron-in my case) on the belt and sends them out. My Bunton dealer was charging me $24/drive belt, and NAPA only charges me $8 ea. Now I can afford to carry 2 extra sets with me for the same price.
  10. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

There are a huge difference in belts from one manufacturer to another. There is even a huge difference between the belts within a manufacturers product line. Not all belts are created equal. I would bet that the belts Gravely are specing out have a great deal of difference than the ones your buying at the auto store. Been down this road too many times before. The belts coming from the OEM are generally going to last longer because they are made specifically for that application.
    I would say without a doubt that a lawn mower is far more severe on belts than a car. There is back side idlers on lawn mowers, impact loads and slippage that a car will never place on a belt. Just my 2 cents.