1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bench Grinder or Lawn Mower Blade Grinder?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BeautifulBlooms, Mar 9, 2007.

1. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

I am not sure I understand why a lawn mower blade gridner costs 5 times as much as a regular bench grinder. Anyone have any input here, is there a massive tiem savings with a blade grinder, or can it be done justa s fast with a standard bench grinder? What about quality?

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

The blade grinders are made just for blades has a table or magnet to hold them in place. You set the correct angle to take off the right amount. They are nice, I still use a bench been using it this long you get good at it. It does save you time YES. My opinion someone else might know better opinions.

Hey beautiful,

Click on the search drop down to the right of the new post drop down and type in "blade sharpner". The are at-least five or 6 threads with over 100 posts about blade sharpening.:walking:
  4. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Magna Matic lawn mower blade grinder. The Magna Matic has a hire RPM then a standard bench grinder, and the grinding wheel is designed to take a lot of metal off fast with out the heat. The blades do heat up, but not as fast.

Also its pretty easy to adjust the angle to match the blades angle. There's a handle on top of the grinder that lifts or lowers the grinding wheel to the platform that your sliding the blade back and forth on. Thats how you set the angle.

I love the machine and so do all my buddys that use it.