Bench grinder v.s. Blade grinder??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mowerman52, Apr 6, 2004.

1. mowerman52

mowerman52 LawnSite Member

I have accesses to a Bench grinder at my Dad's office, and I would like to know if a Bench grinder will work just as well for sharpening blades as a blade grinder. I have seen some of the prices for blade grinders and they are through the roof (new). I don't really want to buy a used one either. I could use my old boss's blade grinder but I don't want to be rude and ask him.

So will a bench grinder suffice for sharpening blades? Even if I have to angle the blade a bit?

thanks for any input.

2. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

Both types work but I can get close to razor blade sharp on a dedicated blade sharpener. If you mow any amount of grass you will see the difference when mowing. The mowing machine cuts faster and the engine doesnt have to work as hard.

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

If you're pretty good at being a good handyman, the bench grinder is just fine. I sharpen mine on a bench grinder and do a better job than my dealer. It's all in the wheel.
    DP

4. mowerman52

Thanks,

I used my Dad's 8" grinder at his office. It had a wire brush wheel on it and I used that to take off the crusted grass.

It was the first time I have sharpened blades myself and I didn't get a good angle cut on it. So the edge is a little bit sloped but the edge is real sharp. Real sharp. Part of the problem could be that they are from the guy I bought the mowers from. He gave me 14 blades, 5 of them are those gator blades.

As long as the edge is clean and sharp they'll work won't they?

5. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

Ever try a portable belt sander with a 90 or 120 grit belt?

They are the best tool I have found for blade sharpening. The flat metal "foot" makes it a snap to keep the factory angle on any blade. Plus they do not heat the blade up as much as an angle grinder or a stone type grinder.

6. mudpie

mudpie LawnSite Member

how about a vise and a four inch hand grinder. works great and you can see the angle you put on the blade

7. mowerman52

Hand grinder is a good idea. I can get my hands on one of those. I might try that next time.

What about having that perfect angle on the cutting edge? Does that matter that much? I got mine close but it was my first time, so it wasn't perfect.

Thanks alot for the input.

8. mudpie

mudpie LawnSite Member

I like a good long slope on my blades it cuts better and stays sharp longer as long as you dont hit rocks. A short slope is like a dull blade it doesnt cut good and your mower will bog down in tall grass

9. mowerman52

Thanks for the tips guys. I should be one heck of a pro with this information.