bench grinders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KNOWHOWELTD, Jul 6, 2002.

1. KNOWHOWELTD

KNOWHOWELTD LawnSite Member

who uses a electic bench grinder to sharpen their blades?

who uses a file?

who uses a hand electric grinder and sharpens the blades while under the deck?

spence

2. Spence I use a Lesco/ like an RPG blade sharpener. It is dedicated to sharpening mower blades (Can be used for other stuff)

I am soon to get a Magna matic.

3. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Bench grinder here.

I too see a Magnamatic in my future.

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I use a 1/2 hp delta grinder (nice grinder) but I wish I had one of the dedicated grinders.

for touch ups on the machine I use a mini die grinder. works great.

wear safety glasses!

GEO

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Bench grinders are a very usefull tool for your shop. I use mine on every single blade that I use. Then I use the Fireball 300-C to actually sharpen them. I use the bench grinder to wire wheel off all the caked on grass buildup, and the other side to touch up the bottom of the blade and any BIG divots in it,...then....its off to the Fireball for the actual sharpening. But in no way would I ever use one to put a consistant cutting edge on a blade. Then its off to the Magna-Matic Balancer to balance them properly.

6. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

RBG-218 Pro blade sharperner,does a wonderful job, ive had mine for 2yrs now and haven't worn the wheel no more than 1/8in.....I also dress it with the diamond tip..Marks Mowing Service

7. None of those. I have used a 9" handheld grinder, but the 4 1/2" works almost as well. I always put them in a vise though. I have to take them off to balance them anyway.

Dave

8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

DeWALT 4 1/2" handheld angle grinder and Quick-Grip bar clamp are all ya need ;)

9. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I use a file. I think it works better than my bench grinder. I wish I had a blade grinder but a file does an excellent job. I sharpened my gators on saturday so sharp that when I accidently scraped it on my arm some hair came off. It's like razor sharp. Plus I like the file better than the bench grinder cause it's easier to make a straight line filing. I just put my blades in a vise grip and sharpen away.

10. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

We use a belt sander with about a 60 or 80 grit belt. You would be surprised at the edge it gives you. It takes very little metal off and you dont get that chewed up look like some grinders do. We put the blade in a vice. We use about 5 or 6 belts a year. A magnamatic would be nice but this works pretty good and doesnt cost nearly as much.