1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bending Funny Pipe

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by rvsuper, Feb 10, 2003.

1. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

How do you guys do this? Heat it up with torch then bend it? Or just bend it?
  2. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Hate to be smartmouth but when you install it cut it the right length then you won't have to kink it. I just bend it and out the dirt on top of it and keep on gettin it.:D
  3. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

If funny pipe is the same as swing pipe, then yeah, you just bend it. Just be careful to avoid bending it too sharp to kink it.
  4. Take a portable blowdryer to heat up the pipe.

Serious side, kind of with sleepyhead on this one.
  5. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I have a handheld torch to do that.
  6. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

Any time you heat pipe, you weaken it.
    I have never had a bit of trouble with funny pipe and have never run into a situation where it would have to be heated to make it fit. If the correct fittings are used and it's cut somewhat close to the correct length, it will work.
    Are you guys using the TORO funny pipe or some other brand? I've found the toro braded stuff to be much more flexible.
  7. CMKC

CMKC LawnSite Member
    from KC

ok....Swing pipe(funny pipe to you Toro installers) is pliable tubing. It flexes and bends more than any other irrigation tubing. It will flex with out any outside heating(if you don't count the sun on really cold days).
    Swing pipe is a pipe to never be without!
    I however would never install it in segments longer than 6ft as you might start to lower the volume and psi to each head you connect it to.
    When purchasing swing pipe make sure you actually have the real deal. Drip tubing looks pretty close to swing pipe, but you can tell the difference by the Inside Diameter and the flex of the pipe itself.
  8. James234

James234 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

If you do a proper installation...you don't need to use funny pipe.
  9. CMKC

CMKC LawnSite Member
    from KC

Swing(funny)pipe is put on the market to be used. Yes, a proper installation might not require swing(funny) pipe. But profit determines how much time you may what tospend making 90 degree corners to get close to house.
    A proper installation not only has great coverage and great precip rates but it also has two other components that may make or break your company. First and foremost a Happy Client and second a high profit margin.
    Swing(funny) pipe is not what will make or break a job but it just may save a bunch of time.
  10. goose

goose LawnSite Member

I dont agree with one of these replys.