Benefits of a Stand-on unit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jbh0724, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Jbh0724

Jbh0724 LawnSite Member

I am a current walker mower user. I have several properties that would benefit more from a mulching mower. I was wondering if anyone had input on the benefits of using a stand on unit as opposed to a standard Ztr. The properties I have in mind are generally too large to use a walk behind and some are too small to efficiently use a sulky. Any input is appreciated.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Could you not get a mulching deck for the Walker?

3. Jbh0724

Jbh0724 LawnSite Member

I probably could but I need a second mower anyway. Plus the walker is too slow for larger properties.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I can understand the second mower idea. I did not know the effective mowing speed of a Walker was slower than a Stand on unit.

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Walkers cut nicely but are considerably slower than other sit down or stand up models. I believe top speed is around 7mph on the walker.

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

We have Walkers and demoed an Exmark Vantage and they are about the same speed. Why not get a larger SD deck for your Walker? The benefit is in tighter areas with standers. If you are looking for speed and size go with a Z over a stander.

7. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Is 7 MPH a reasonable cut speed? Maybe on a nice sports field.

8. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

I think it is...but that is full stick. Not sure about cutting at full stick with them. They seem to just crawl along. I've never owned one but I have looked into it. Our Wright standers and scag wildcat are both around 11-12mph...I feel like we could cut way faster with them.

9. Jbh0724

Jbh0724 LawnSite Member

Top speed on a Walker is 5mph. Are stand on units slow as well? I don't need blazing speed but 7-8mph would do the trick. And I like the idea of having the versatility of using it in tight areas. Esp this time of year. I could give my walker a break. I am not looking for a deck bigger than 48-52"
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

You can get a Walker MBS with a 27HP or 29 EFI HP engine and a 60" side discharge/mulching deck. They are rated at 10 MPH. You can also get the 52" rear discharge mulching deck for it.