Benefits of Earthworm Castings?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, May 31, 2012.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Could someone clue me in or point me toward a reference that explains what the benefits pelletized earthworm castings are? A local vendor to me 'produces' this product, and I am curious about it. Seems very flowable similar to Milorganite, would go through a spreader as it is pretty dry. Topdressing an option?

Need to know more......

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Dirty Jobs did a show on worm poop.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Does worm poop feed good microbes(benficials) or provide habitat for bad microbes(pathogens)???

4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Just wondering, do you ask questions here before you do your own online research? No judgement on my part, just looking for insight.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes I go straight to LS to ask questions first. Why? Because there is a wealth of experience here. Also, I don't have the time this time of year to be fiddling around the web trying to find accurate info. Sometimes the LS guys will post a link to a good source of information, which is much appreciated.

6. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Remember in the NPP thread where I said don't put down hign N products in the summer to try and curb disease? Pelletized castings are an option as a "summer stress reliever". You may not see immediate results with this product, but your lawns will bounce back from heat and drought better than most.

The only question I would ask the producer is if they use a cold process or very low heat during production. High heat can kill a lot of the microbes in the castings.

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Actually I'd like to be able to bounce ideas off of people, to help me think things through... Perhaps someone has read something somewhere that a bit of insight has been found...

Right now I have my ideas about microbes building soil structure, and the type of habitat those microbes would enjoy living in... the other side of the coin is habitats that are more suitable to the development of pathogens...

So I guess my first place to put a question would be with intelligent, like-minded people, who may have a clue and a care about excellence in understanding how life is on the tiny side of the tracks...

One day we will rise above the cliche sales pitches and the misinformation of the agenda driven educrats... then, reality will make sense again... :)

8. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

Since plant pathogens are ubiquitous in the environment, I don't think worrying about their dormant habitat is productive. Remember the disease triangle -- pathogen (always present), susceptible host, and environmental conditions. As long as you have the susceptible host and the proper environment above the ground (heat, hunidity, N status, etc), you wil have disease.

I think worrying about pathogens on a micro level is not goign to get you where you want to be.

9. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Axe, I think you're being a little unfair to Barry here. Just because he sells castings doesn't mean he can't talk about a topic objectively.

There's a good article on worms, their castings and ACT in this month's issue of Acres USA. It even says worms can eat pathogenic microbes. Pretty cool. It's pretty amazing what a little worm can digest and help soil and the plants growing in it.

Skipster, good point about needing all the factors for a disease to thrive.

10. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

It is a decent natural fertlizer but I have never used it. I would rather have the worms in the lawn.