Benefits of PLANET membership

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Terra-Turf, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Terra-Turf

Terra-Turf LawnSite Member

I would like to hear from any PLANET (once referred to as “Associated Landscape Contractors of America“ (ALCA) and/or “Professional Lawn Care Association of America” (PLCAA)) members on this board. I’m interested in marketing benefits or other benefits associated with membership. Is the membership worth the investment etc..

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I feel that there are really no benefits. The major thing is member discounts on certifications. Other than that I feel that it is a waste. I will not be renewing mine when it comes up again. I was a member of PLCAA since 2001, before the merger, and I have been a current member of PLANET since the merger. I personally feel that the PLCAA did a lot more and cared more for the members than PLANET does. Like I said, I will not be renewal my membership when it comes around again

3. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

PLANET is a newly formed organization, (the merger of plcaa and alca), and may take a little time to gel together in the best interests of themselves. However, with that being said, i feel it is a good organization to join. you will only get as much out of this type of organization as you are willing to invest into it.? in other words, if you dont get involved yourself to find out what resouces are available to you, there will be benefits from joining.

If cost seems to be driving you away, check into the oklahoma nursery and landscape association. I dont know anything about them personally, but ohio has an awesome state association.

4. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I was FORMERLY a member of PLCAA all they seemed to do is hit me up for more donations for this and that. There was no benefit as far as marketing. They have a web-site were they post members names etc. It took them 6 mos to even list my company info. Also the former President is a business owner in my city and he always was subbing out mowing to a non member company. So I called the corporate office on it. Well as you can guess I got absolutely no response. So save your $200 + membership fee and take your significant other out for a good dinner and you will get a better return on your advertising dollars!!

5. tiedeman

from earth

yup, I agree. Waste of money. I had a problem with my information on the web site as well and took almost a year to fix. After that they still did not get it right

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we were placca and alca members for years.. the only thing it did was make us less tired at the end of the day from light wallets

7. Terra-Turf

Thanks everyone. I knew that lawnsite would be a good place to ask about this.

I’m attempting to boost my creditability. I am only in my 2nd year of doing landscape work. I am having a difficult time competing with the well established businesses. I was hoping that the certification and membership in a national organization would improve my businesses image.

Ohiolawnguy: Thanks for letting me know about “oklahoma nursery and landscape
    association”. I have obviously overlooked my own states opportunities.

Thanks again,

8. tiedeman

from earth

if you are looking for additional business perhaps look at joining the local chamber instead

9. Terra-Turf

Tiedeman:

I thought about joining the local “Chamber of Commerce” but I felt that it would primarily put me in touch with commercial customers rather than residential. I would like my business to grow but I am not looking at full time employees and workman’s comp and all those things that go with commercial contracts. I live in a small town and I have had some doubt about the overall reach of the local chamber. I am spread out among 3 or 4 small towns and suburbs. Let me know if you have experience with chambers in your area and their influence on your business.

Thanks,

10. jake65

jake65 LawnSite Member

What about certifications through PLANET. Is it worth considering. Thinking about turf management to start. I will not join the membership though.

Any thoughts

Thanks
    Jake:)