Benifits of pavers vs. concrete?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, Mar 14, 2006.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Guys i know pavers are a better product and longer lasting than concrete. I have a estimate on thrusday where a guy is looking for a new lawn, boulder retaining wall (boulders are already there) and two concrete walkways.

I am going to try to talk the guy out of concrete since i know its going to crack since we live in the north east. Most of all, i know if i install pavers it will just be a better looking job which will make me look like a better landscaper.

So besides cracks, what are some of the other benifits of pavers vs. concrete.

BTW i'd be hiring a finisher for the day if i have to do the conrete.
    Matt

2. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

It's easy to replace a broken or stained paver where with concrete it's much more difficult

Aesthetics

Value

3. amvega

amvega LawnSite Member

Pavers are more eye appealing because of the different colors you can get. Also they will add more value to the house then concrete. But the biggest is when he ends up doing the concrete twice after it cracks it would have been cheaper in the long run.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

This only hold true if the persons going to live in the house a loooong time or the person doing the crete does a cheap job. Around here they stay in a house an average of 6 yrs. and crete works well.

5. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

Ask him if he's ever looked at a sidewalk and said "nice concrete"?

6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

6 years, damn i know people who have been in the same house for 20+ years. lol. I would hate to be moving every 6 years, ive only moved once and I freaking hated it.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Thats average. I've done jobs for customers that never unpacked, they been transferred before they had a chance to even have a lawn put in. But they pay to have you do something to help them sell the house, usually some small beds and plants.

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

the national average s only 6-7 years

9. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Reality of life is lots of people will choose concrete over pavers for a variety of reasons... I would guess the number one reason is money.

Paving stone is a different system ...it's flexible. If it heaves with freeze/thaw it will usually settle back down to where it was before.

Concrete always cracks

Interlocking paver surface is stronger than concrete.

Repairs can be made much easier.

Pavers look nicer.

10. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

In MD, no conrete over septic. Pavers are okay.