bent blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stonewall, May 25, 2001.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

I noticed my Turf Tiger mowing a little uneven recently and while working on the problem, I found that my blades have a slight bow in them. If I put them on a flat surface, the tips will be touching the surface, but with as much as little over 1/16" gap in the middle of the blades. Is this normal? I've never noticed it before. It doesn't seem to be the problem I had with the uneven cut.

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

its sounds like its time to retire those blades, none of my blades do that, high lift or gator. check your other blades just to make sure, if they are the only ones like that it wouldn't be a good idea to keep using them.

3. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

All mine, even the new ones, have a SLIGHT bow to them. (Never measured how much of one)

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

stonewall--you can hardly see 1/16 of an inch on a ruler so I doubt you could ever see that much difference in the cut of grass. mow on!

GEO

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if there all thatway ,its the way there made

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

you might have a slow leak in one of the rear tires,Id make sure the air pressure is the same in both.run the machine onto a level surface,lower the deck as far as you can,measure the distance form the ground to the edges of the deck,if it is different from side to side,you'll need to adjust the deck to get it even.For what they cost ,Id throw a new set of blades on,then spin them by hand,make sure all the blade tips line up with each other,tip to tip,on both sides,you'll have to slip the deck belt off,or fight it to do this.If they line up one way,and not the other,or the center one is higher on one end,lower on the other-you have a bent spindle,which is rare but can happen.tip to tip they should all line up with each other,no matter which end you use.Good luck.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Some blades are bowed or FROWN. Tips are bent down. I think it happens when the lift wing is bent up during the manufacturing process. This makes it a little frustrating when sharpening, but I think that they cut better than truely flat blades, as only the tips cut.

This shouldnt give you an uneven cut. Check tire pressures, and then check blade height at ALL FOUR CORNERS! If its still cutting uneven, the deck may be warped/bent causing one spindle housing to lean to the side.