bent crankshaft

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bohiaa, May 27, 2008.

1. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

hay all:

MY DA helper today bent the crankshaft on my NEW snapper 21"

that mower cost 700.00 had it for about 3 weeks.

wondering if anyone knows if it can be fixed ? or shall I just trash it

thanks

2. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

It can definetly be fixed, but it could be a pricey repair. It is just a matter of what it is worth to you to have it fixed. A small engine mechanic could tear down the engine and replace the crankshaft, but get a rough quote first because you could be better off just getting a new engine. If you want to you could grab the Northern Tool catalog and slap a $200 Briggs on there, then if your crazy employee breaks it again it's not as big a deal.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

My local "one man shop" straightened the shaft on an old Deere I had a few years ago. It was a JS63. I hit a metal stob in the ground and bent it pretty badly. He had a machine just for straightening shafts and if I recall correctly, it cost me $40.

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

thanks I'll see what I come up with this week....

But I think I'll fore the helper anyway....

I ask him sometimes what he's doing and why, and he doesnt even know.......

Drive me stright up a wall

5. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

By crank shaft, do you mean the spindle thing? I bent one of mine and my dealer put it on a press (if I remember right) and straightened it out. It cost me $60 but they also changed my oil. It was a Toro super recycler.

6. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Just to leteveryone know....

When a so-called "mechanic" straightens a shaft, he is doing so against the reccomendations of the manufaturer, and his liability coverage will have to take care of it should anything go wrong.
    In other words, the repairer is accepting responsibility for the repair, and will receive no support from the maufacturer.

If you are getting your stuff fixed at a "fly-by-nighter" and something goes wrong, you could potentially be liable, also.

Just spend the extra money, and fix it right. (And charge your help for the repairs.)

7. K/B

K/B LawnSite Senior Member

Just because a shop will straighten crankshafts doesn't mean that they're fly-by-nighters:rolleyes: There is a special tool specifically designed to straighten bent cranks. I know of a shop that does it, but with the customer's understanding that it is not guaranteed, because once it's bent the area becomes weaker.

8. jkason

Hence my warning about making sure your mechanic has liability insurance.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would also relieve the shop of any liability, considering if they were to do this they're doing us a big favor in the way of possibly saving a company hundreds of dollars. Granted it may fail later, but I will always have respect for the folks who know such economical fixes. Do away with them and we have ourselves an even worse problem than we already do.

10. jkason

Yeah. Doing the OWNER of the company a favor for HIS wallet, when there is no dealer loyalty.
    And potentially removing someone's legs at the ankle.

The worse problem is that the dealer WILL complain when it fails, making us all look like dumb-@$$es.

FIX IT RIGHT, DAMN IT!!