1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bent deck on exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bjm95, Jan 21, 2010.

1. bjm95

bjm95 LawnSite Member

got a 60 inch exmark with I believe a bent deck. Is this common?
  2. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Those decks are pretty thick steel with reinforcement pieces welded all over them, how in the world did you bend one? Where is it bent at? IS it bad or just a small dent? it may cause the spindles to run weird and make them wear out very quickly. If you have any pics of the deck, this would help too.
  3. bjm95

bjm95 LawnSite Member

Not sure it's what I am being told. The mower isn't cutting right, it's leaving uneven strips of grass and it looks like sh*te. Dealer says it's because the blades aren't even therefore leaving the uneven strips. I am getting a second opinion tomorrow.
  4. Mrplowcjc

Mrplowcjc LawnSite Member

I have been using Exmarks for 15 years and yes you can bend a deck. My deck got bent by hitting a tree stump that stopped the blade. The force of this bent the deck around the spindle mount. The mower never cut right again.
  5. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you put up some pics.
  6. vanncann

vanncann LawnSite Senior Member

Had a few do the same thing to me. Easy to fix on the older models but a pain in the ass to fix on the newer models !!! But fixable.
  7. LandscapeSavannah

LandscapeSavannah LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

All my decks are bent and dented. It's when they get holes that you worry.
  8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want to know how to diagnose the problem yourself send me a pm.

9. bjm95

bjm95 LawnSite Member

i will try to get some up tomorrow.
  10. groundskeeperllc

groundskeeperllc LawnSite Senior Member

i know a company near me and they run over 30 exmark riders and i've talked with their workers a few times and they told me most of their older 60" decks warped or were bent at some point, it can happen