bent deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Zito, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Zito

Zito LawnSite Member

The deck of my Ferris 36" hydro was bent in a car accident. My repair guy says $1186 for the new deck, $150 to put it on. Do these prices sound reasonable? Can you find these used or from some third party source for less money?
  2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

is it bent so bad that you can't straighten it out yourself?
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Car accident.... Wouldn't insurance cover this?
  4. Zito

Zito LawnSite Member

When the trailer got hit, the Ferris was lifted up on the casters, and a push mower went under it and then the Ferris came back down. Insurance wanted to total it at 30% depreciation, which did me no good because I didn't have that extra 30%. So they gave me the depreciated value minus 20% and let me keep the mower. So even if it costs me $1500, I still am better off than if they just totaled it.

Lawnwizards, I'm not sure how to rate the severity of the damage, but I don't think I have the know-how or equipment to effect a repair. Would it require industrial tools and welding equipment, or just me, a hammer, and a taped on picture of the ex-wife?:hammerhead:

Sorry if this post is confusing, but I was educated in Alabama.
  5. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

rofl. can't be worse than some sc districts :laugh:
  6. Turf-R-Us

Turf-R-Us LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

1100 for the deck? I dunno ferris. We recently replaced a deck on a 48" Lesco. I think the deck listed for right around 400. It was a fixed deck. If yours is floating and some of the carriage is bent up bad then maybe. I dunno.

I will have to take a look at the prices of decks for some other brands. That seems high...but also comparing it to Lesco is not a good comparison either because their parts are cheap.
  8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Man.. what did you have it strapped down/secured with? If the straps had a certain rating on them and they broke or something, maybe you could find fault with the company that made the straps that don't hold what they say.
  9. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

10. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Got any good fab shops in the area? Let them take a look.

Got any pics of the damage?