Bent Deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tim Wright, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you ever had a deck bent or sprung on you?

I have been getting a very bad cut, and it looks like one of the guys that I had working for me last year must have hit a rock or something going full speed.

The center blade is 1/2 inch high on one side and 1/4 inch low on the other.

I just cannot believe that the decks are that weak, but I cannot believe that if it was just the spindle that the height difference would stay in the same place. If it was the spindle it would seem that the blade would bobb up and down.

What do you all think?

This little-big problem is causing a lot of double cutting.

2. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

I have worked on others homeowners units with a sprung deck. Two thing to do, 1 get all new blades, (may times the blade is part of the problem) and then hope to place washers under the spindles to aline the new blade edges. I had one deck so bent I had to put a 3 foot peace of angel iron across the top of the beck to force it to stay straight.

I think Dixie Chopper use to sell a deck stiffener/straightener that was bolted across the top of the beck. But I have hit some really big stuff and killed the motor and busted the belt, but not bent the deck on the new units.
  3. inHaliburton

inHaliburton LawnSite Member

I've done that on 2 difference JD decks. There's a real good small engine guy up here where I get mine serviced. He took a sledge hammer to both decks and straightened them out perfectly. He has straigthened out blades that I've bent over the years, too. He's got the magic touch!

I always tip him at least $20. for work he does for me cuz he stops what he's doing to fix me up as soon as I drive in cuz I'm commercial. Twenty or thirty bucks is cheap insurance when you consider what a day or 2 out of business cost.
  4. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I can see bending a homeowner type deck, but I have a Ferris, which is really built like a tank (not the mower) and these guys must have been going the full 10MPH to do such damage.

I am going to try and have the deck straighened out rather than spend the $1,400.00 that Ferris wants for a new hunk of metal. Affording the down time to do so is the killer, and yet so is double cutting everything.

5. inHaliburton

inHaliburton LawnSite Member

Good luck, Tim, hope you get it fixed fast and inexpensively.
  6. ke5hbd

ke5hbd LawnSite Member

I was at a freinds shop in April of the year and saw a deck off a grasshopper that was bent/warped bad and he put it in his press and straightened it up.
  7. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

Commercial finish mower decks might be built tough but they are not built to handle major rocks impacts. They will bend quite easily if the right object is stuck. Even a deck built out of 1/4" thick steel or double plate 7 guage wouldn't be tough enough. It takes a bush hog to handle that kind of abuse. A sledge hammer can do wonders for a bend deck.
  8. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen a bent scag deck. the fool drivin it was wide open when he caught the tree stump.
  9. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

And the mower didn't flip over??

Running into something solid like a rock or stump at full speed would be quite a jolt.
  10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Our local school district bent the deck of their new Ferris IS 5000 during the first 10 hrs of service.:hammerhead: They said they bent it on a curb, yeh right.