Bent deck

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by TRX250R, Apr 17, 2004.

1. TRX250R

TRX250R LawnSite Member
    from RI

I was wondering how I could tell if my deck is bent. All the spacers are right and one front wheel seems to float more then the other one. Plus I get a stripping effect when I cut. If the deck is bent how do I go about fixing it? Thanks for any help.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

TRX250R,

A bent deck can often be detected in many different ways. On some decks you can simply line up the blades tip to tip and see that something is wrong. In other cases you can lay a straight edge across the spindle pulley's to make sure everything lines up as it should. Still in other case you'll need to lay a straight edge on the mower deck or measure the distance between the blade tip and the deck all the way around the deck.

Here's how I would start. First I would put a new set of blades on. That way I could be reasonably certain that I wasn't working with a bent blade.

Next I'd line up the blades tip to tip. You'll need to rotate each blade 180 degrees to check all blades.

Next I would scrape the deck and measure from the blade tip to the roof of the deck at 4 locations under the deck such as 12 o’clock, 3 o’clock, 6 o’clock and 9 o’clock.

I would recommend taking it to the dealer for inspection especially if you have a walk behind that you feel may have a bent deck. If you find in your inspection that the deck is bent I would take it to the dealer for straightening. You dealer can use several methods to straighten a deck and has the experience to greatly simplify the process.

Thanks,

Terry

3. TRX250R

TRX250R LawnSite Member
    from RI

Thanks for your reply. I realy belive the deck is bent. I had my local dealer look at it, but I seemed to know more about the mower then them, and they are a Exmark dealer. They replace a spindle, but it still cuts w/ a line. I brought it back and they said that they would look at it again, when I got it back oneside or the rear wheels was higher then the other. (It wasn't me) so I put it back they way it should be. I have spent a lot on this problem, So i'm going to try one other place that is a exmark dealer, and see if they can fix it, I'm just ready to burn it. Thanks again

4. eXmark

TRX250R,

Let me know the name of the dealer your going too, your name, serial number and model of your mower and I'll give them a call and tell them what to look for.

Thanks,

Terry

5. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Check your tire pressure and diameter. If one is off it can make the deck higher on the opposite side of the low tire.

6. TRX250R

TRX250R LawnSite Member
    from RI

Thanks again. The work was done last year, but they should remember. I will PM you the info.

Merlin, Thanks, that was the first thing I did, but for me its never that simple.

7. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

I have made a simple tram to check if a spindle is straight to the deck. I'll share it with you guys.

Just weld a 1/8" rod to the flat of a large nut or washer. Bolt this to the spindle (in place of the blade) and bend the rod so it touches the top of the deck. Now you can rotate this around and see whether it moves up/down in relation to the deck. I have used a large pipe around the spindle housing to bend a deck back straight. Takes a bit of force but it gets the job done.

Hope this is helpfull.

8. arkydog

arkydog LawnSite Member

I just read rob t post and that sounds like a wonderful idea! Seams like that idea would be an excellant way to check your deck.

arkydog

9. tacraven

tacraven LawnSite Member

I had uneven blades and found a cure that works very well. I take a tape measure and do very accurate measurements at the ends of the blades where they meet and the opposite side. The 3 and 9 o'clock positions. Determine what distance seems to be the average. SHIM the spindles. I loosen the bolts that hold the spindle to the deck. I place washers that fit the spindle bolts between the spindle and the deck. I shim and bring the tips to the goal of one distance to the deck. Washers go on top of the deck under the spindle. This sounds crude but it will get you the perfect cut with an older Lazer.

10. eXmark

Guys,

All of your suggestions will work. My recommendation is; if you think you might have a bent deck take it to the dealer and have it straightened. Some of the decks are easier to straighten than they were a few years ago and some of there are some new methods and fixtures available that make it much easier. Often when a deck is straightened correctly there is little or no noticeable change in deck strength. In some cases you can not only restore the deck to its original condition but you can also increase the overall strength as well.

Thanks,

Terry