Bent decks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Aug 4, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I hear alot of post about one deck being built better than others. I have several questions about this. Have you struck an object with the blade hard enough that it actually bent the deck enough that new blades would not line up and cut even? In other words have you hit an object with the blades hard enough to misaligned the deck. Question 2 have you bent a deck by striking an object bad enough that it didn't cut well? I'm not referring to spindles but actually messing up a deck by striking something. If so what brands and describe the problem. Seems like most decks on ZTR's are built plenty heavy unless you struck something at highs speed. Does the cut quality in general go down on a deck as it ages as long as you keep good spindles on it. Thanks, look forward to your reply.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Most decks are built with some give to them in the event you strike something. That why they put a reinforcing plate on the top of the deck and don't just build the whole deck out of 3/8" steel. At today's high mower speeds I'm suprised they don't put air bags on mowers.

3. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I know this isnt a commercial deck but anyway...
    I have a JD X595 54"deck and I hit a block splitter (cross between an axe and a slegde hammer) once. It got jammed up between a blade and the deck and bent the deck where the spindle attached. It was a noticably worse cut, kinda like the look a flat tire gives! Dealler just knocked the deck back straight and been good ever since. I doubt you'd be able to easily knock a commercial deck back into shape though.

4. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

yes i just bought a used mower and the deck is bent a bit by where the right spindle is. i called the dealer and he told me just to bang it out with a hammer or sledge hammer. he said they do it that way and you can get them back in shape perty good. i am just waiting for my new spindle so i can make sure i get it straight.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Scag have a very heavy built deck, but we have cracks in it a couple places. One place is where the spindles attach to the deck. There is a lot of stress and over time the metal failed. We were running along and hit the deck on a pipe sticking up it bent our 36" WB and bent/broke some of the hinge points for the adjustable deck. The steel decks on Scag and Snapper can be welded and you are good to go, don't know about the fabricated ones.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

To just tell the truth about it...

I have seen more decks come from the factories with twists/warps/dimples/bad tolerances from MFG stresses (welding) than I have seen damaged by the operator.

On these high speed commercial decks, it takes VERY LITTLE tolerance in the deck top to severely affect the cutting ability of the deck. VERY LITTLE. In fact, usually a cutting problem that you can't seem to solve is the symptom, but the defect is not apparent to the eye and takes some careful checking to locate.

7. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bent the deck on my scag tiger cub just last week. I didn't notice my tie down strap got caught under the mower(around a blade) and i turned the blades on to hear a horrible sound. The hook part of the strap somehow pulled the back portion of the deck in(about a 2 inch area) so the middle blade could no longer spin freely.I also had a small slice near the bottom edge and the blade had a huge gouge in it. I took a small mallet and hit the deck back into shape the best i could, then grinded the rough edge and put some primer on it. The mower works as good as new now. I never did find were the hook went to but the strap was torn into three pieces.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Skirt damage can usually be repaired with little to no ill effects.
    Just so long as the top doesn't get hurt...