1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bent fork

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by NEUSWEDE, Jul 7, 2007.

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

While trying to remove a 10' yew I bent one of the 48" forks for my skid steer and is about 3" off from where it should be.

I can't seem to locate a replacement because no place wants to sell just one so I am wondering what should I do. I have only had them for 5 months and fear if I heat it to bend it back it will weaken it.

any advice short of buying a a whole new fork set-up?
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You SOL you will have to find another fork because once they are bent they are hard to find. You have one option is see if you can find a spring shop that may beable to bend the fork straight as they can try re-temper it.
  3. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

How did you bend just one fork? Was you just picking up with the one side, instead of both?If so you know the answer for that!

Check with the welding shops and see if they have a big hydraulic press that they can use to bend it back.Heating and bending is an option,just need to try and temper when done.

Look at it this way you haven't much choice as far as straighten it.If it breaks ,it breaks.You still have to fix those or get a new fork or set.Good luck.

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Stupidity on my part, forks weren't made for removing trees. I had the forks tight together and thought both were under the roots and went to curl them and it lifted the back of the machine off the ground putting all the weight on one fork bending it. I just started poking around online looking for a stump remover.

I am going to try a local spring shop tomorrow and check with some welding shops I know of. Didn't think of that