Bent Frame???

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Lawnworks, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I may have bent my frame on my Hustler Z. Both rear tires are not wearing evenly, and have a considerable amount of wear on the inner portion of the tire. My dealer thinks something might be bent, and they said it would be up to the factory's discretion whether it will be warrantied. What could be the problem and how would this NOT be a warranty item? Mower was purchased new in June and has 600 hours.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I seriously doubt the frame is bent, unless the mower fell off the trailer at 30+ MPH.....
    What tire pressure have you been running in the tires?
    Are you running a Bac-Vac on the unit?

3. Lawnworks

from usa

No bagger... will check the air pressure.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Lawnworks and Pj,

If I may stick my nose in here and offer a few points, I think it might help.

1) Lawnworks, I doubt you have a warp or misalignment. I say that because I have seen this on other Z's with the same size tires and the same rear track width. But I say that without seeing pictures of the extent of the wear and rather or not it's on both sides.

2) Pj, I believe if Lawnworks has a true issue there, I would doubt it was from use and or abuse, but rather because something was not welded up aligned true.

3) To all, I happen to think a 24" x 12" wide tire on a 52"-53" rear track width don't mesh well. Little too narrow of a track width for that width and height tire. I think it just twists the tread off the insides of the tires, with the insides being in the smaller part of the turn circle radius.

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

AND...... I would hope the dealer "can" tell if the frame is bent or not.......Or, maybe it should be taken to another dealer who is more qualified.
    Pete

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

True,
    Even 60" (and 72"on pavement turns) machine suffer from the same problem. Frankly, a taller thinner tire would work better, but companies supply what the average LCO's "thinks" they want. I'm having great luck with an 8" footprint on a 54" machine. IAH (in all honesty), this is one of the reason riders need more "K" turning than necessary. Tires divot on their edges, not in the center of the tread.
    However, in an attempt to curtail the tire traction problem of riders, when going down hill, companies continue to make the tire wider and widerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
    Pete

7. Lawnworks

from usa

Here is pic. I cannot find a pressure gauge nor can I ever remember to get one when I am out. This tire has about 600 hours on it... so not too much to complain about.

8. Lawnworks

from usa

I am a little bit agitated by the fact that they would be reluctant to warranty a bent frame!! In my opinion, it should not even be a question. This would not be my first experience w/ a Hustler weld breaking.

9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Do we know if the frame is bent? No we don't.
    Who says we are reluctant to warranty a bent frame?
    I rarely hear about a bent frame, when I do it is a case of a mower falling off a trailer or retaining wall etc...etc... I am not saying this is what your case is, I am just saying it is very rare.
    E-mail me your dealers information along with yours and I can have someone from our service department help find the cause to your tire wear.

Pj

10. Lawnworks

from usa

PJ, I did not say you were reluctant to warranty my situation... I am just relaying what my dealer told me. Information is on the way.

Also, we seem to have problems w/ our steering levers breaking. They break where the top bolt is. Have you heard of any problems like this? I have repeatedly weld them back, but finally got new bars and they would not warranty them. Is this a wear item?