Bent Grass greens and covers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Arnold, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Pulled five of our covers today talk about green. Anyone else use covers on there greens and what type of grass do you have? We have been using L-93 and Penn Eagle Bents.

2. spray-head-dave

spray-head-dave LawnSite Member

I have a Penn cross green; and we cover it every winter; Definitely makes a difference; wish I could cover the hole course.

3. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

All L-93 here. The old super didn't use the covers this year, what he did this year is used all the bigger branches that he pruned from the trees and surrounded the greens with them to protect them from the snow. I agree though I have seen courses not far away that have covers. It makes a big difference for spring green up. I was thinking about covering them on Sunday night/Monday morning, but decided not to since this snow would be good for green up. I will most definatly cover them up this fall and see the great results next spring.

4. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Got the last of the covers of today and got the first mow on the greens. They were so tall I had to mow them at 3/8 of an inch hope we get so water soon.